How to use GPS?

BashDaBish Guest

Ok

I have been using this fine sim for the past year and have slowly found my way around the cockpit. I am able to fly the heavies on IFR and make successful manual and APPR hold ILS landings. I use GPS for the basic routing, ground speed and distance to waypoints. I do not venture beyond the default and the flightplan screen.

Until recently I was happy with this but started to notice there's a lot more to the GPS shipped with FS9.

So my question is; How do you use the GPS to its full extent? Or, could someone provide me with a link to discover more about this?

Thanks in anticipation.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Andy2005 Guest

Have you checked out the item in the learning center. There's a very helpful item under key topics that explains all the functions. I rarely move from the main flight plan screen, but I find it helpful sometimes if I want to find the nearest airport for an emergency landing. Also, if you miss a waypoint because of atc the gps nav will try and take you back to the waypoint you missed. Its useful to learn how to change it so the gps will direct you to the waypoint you actually want to go to. I hope some of that made sense.
Andy 😀

BashDaBish Guest

Yer mate, that made sense.

I am familiar with activating the next leg after a missed waypoint......I blagged my way through that one after my 747 started doing a u-turn over the the Middle-East somewhere 🙄

It's things like 'activate approach' that I am unclear on, but I shall read that tutorial you mention and see what I can pick up.

I am away from home at the moment so was hoping for an online tutorial or something similar.

Thanks for the reply

Pro Member First Officer
michlin First Officer

BashDaBish,

How about trying the actual GPS 500 "Quick Reference Guide" from Garmin.com? Obviously, not all GPS 500 (real world) functions will be available to you in FS9. However it may allow you to understand the unit somewhat better.

You can use this direct link to download for the file in PDF format: http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPS500_QuickReferenceGuide.pdf

For other GPS 500 manuals here: http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=1&subcategory=8&product=010-00176-01

BashDaBish Guest

Excellent 👍

Printed at work....even better 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

or if you have alot of time on your hands you can do what I did I expeiemented with it by pressing buttons and before you know it you using it for everything altitude, airspeed, knottical miles, direction, ground speed and everything else it can be used for

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...