Few Questions

Lev306 Guest

Hey everybody,

I am planning to get MSFS2004 and I was googling around when I found this board. First I gotta compliment on you guys for keeping such a cool, close knitted, polite and fun board. Its rare nowadays to find such a nice forum around.

I played MSFS95 when I was 7 and was flabergasted. It was really cool and nice, but sorta hard to get used to. The lessons and tutorials were not as complete noobie friendly as I thought they would be and lots of the terms confused me. Now, I'm 15 and planning to get MSFS2004(suddenly caught simulation fever) and I'm wondering how good and noobie friendly the tutorials are. I never got a complete FS95 training, and basically forgot everything.

I also heard there isn't a manual either which sorta turns me off(loved those gigantic manuals that I could stare at day and night). How do you do last second checks of something without pausing or logging out of FS?

And finally, I've been browsing around this forum and saw a multiplayer section. Sounds really cool, and I was wondering how well it works? Is it very consistent? Connections usually work? Gameplay is smooth? How many players does it support? Any thing I should know about it?

I should be getting FS2004 soon and look forward to joining this great community. Theres just this great sense of hospitality here that I don't get on other forums. Its nice to know that I can ask a question and get good answers from like minded fellows.

Thks in advance and look forwarad to flying with everyone soon!

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Andy2005 Guest

I would definitely reccomend you get fs2004 if you're interested in flight simulation. Its probably the best out there at the moment. Its true that if you buy this a jump straight into something like a 747 you will find it daunting. However, fs2004 contains all the information you need to get started. As a 15 year old I don't think you'll have any problems. I started flight simulation a few years ago and now I too am 15. Fs2004 contains lessons which involve a ground school session which will involve reading and then you'll go up in a plane a practice what you have learnt in ground school under instruction. The lessons gradually build up in complexity. For example, you start of in a light aircraft and in the final lessons you will be flying a 737. There are also checkrides among the lessons for you to test your skills. If you succesfully complete a checkride you will get a certificate that can be printed if desired.
It's true that there isn't actually a giant manual to look at but all the info you need is on the computer in the the form of lessons and a learning center. The learning center is kind of like a giant encyclopaedia of flight info. If there's something you're not sure about, you're bound to find it in the learning center. It includes flight notes, info on gps etc.
In my opinion fs2004 is completely noob friendly. In fact, when I just started I didn't take the lessons and just learnt most of the stuff through expierience but I have taken the lessons since to sharpen my skills.
As far as multiplayer is concerned I've only done it a few times with a friend, but there are those who do it almost all the time. Depending on where you go to play multiplayer some people take it more seriously than others and you may be required to have a microphone and speak to real air traffic control.
Once you've got ms2004 there are plenty more things you can do such as joining a virtual airline on the internet or buying better equipment to keep the excitement.
Best of luck 😀
ANdy

Pro Member Trainee
Skymuncher Trainee

What's cool with FS2004 is that you can use it to learn as a newbeeon the basic included aircraft, and then go on and on and learn everything you need at your speed, and after a while you can start flying more complex machines and go flying online...
There is a manual, but that is not printed on paper. You can print it at your own expense, but if you are a beginner it is worth it.
The only thing you really need to start is a decent computer... Could you tell us what specs does your computer have (processor, memory, graphics)?

Looking forward to hear from you,

Skymuncher

Lev306 Guest

Thks for useful replies guys!

My comp specs are as follows:
Dell Dimension 4550 533mhz FSB
2.53 ghz 1gb ram
Radeon 9600xt-using catalyst 5.4 drivers

FS2004 sounds great. Can't wait to hop back into my good ol' Lear.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

oh your PC specs are much higher than minimun req's. Not saying that it'll run flawlessly, because I think it'd still lag on one of those $23,000 Alienware machines.

If the tutorials/lessons are not noob-friendly enough, there is a backup plan, it's called the Agus0404-GPS-Kid-Radarman-Flyaway-FEM-DaveC-Chris102-Mypilot-SoCalRick-OrlandoGeorge-Originalgrunge-Bartholomew-Dear-God-Help-Me-I'm-So-Friggin-Lost plan.

That plan scratched the surface only, so i guess what you could do is srap that plan, and post a question/request a tutorial on here, and our crack team of top-rated FS9 enthusiasts/Heino worshippers will be on it like a pack of wolves in a mud-hole.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

If you havn't gotten FS2004 by now then you could get FS2002 for cheap to hold you off until FS2006 comes out.

Andy2005 Guest

Ye, I agree with mypilot. You can pick up fs2002 a lot cheaper now. Graphically I think it is quite similar to 2004. The main diffrence is the planes. If you really think you will enjoy flying the older planes get fs2004 but otherwise 2002 will do fine. When I got 2004 I thought I would fly the old planes a lot more but I actually don't because I find them frustrating. So if you just like the modern aircraft go for 2002 because you won't have to spend loads of money and if you find flight simulator isn't for you, you won't have wasted too much money.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

oh your PC specs are much higher than minimun req's. Not saying that it'll run flawlessly, because I think it'd still lag on one of those $23,000 Alienware machines.

If the tutorials/lessons are not noob-friendly enough, there is a backup plan, it's called the Agus0404-GPS-Kid-Radarman-Flyaway-FEM-DaveC-Chris102-Mypilot-SoCalRick-OrlandoGeorge-Originalgrunge-Bartholomew-Dear-God-Help-Me-I'm-So-Friggin-Lost plan.

That plan scratched the surface only, so i guess what you could do is srap that plan, and post a question/request a tutorial on here, and our crack team of top-rated FS9 enthusiasts/Heino worshippers will be on it like a pack of wolves in a mud-hole.

FEM is right. If you need help in something, just ask us, and this crack team will do the work for you. I, personally, like to make tutorials about something. So if you need anything, make a request.

Hmmm... Is FS2004 missing anything(planes, functions, etc) compared to FS2002? I was checking out prices on 2002 and its only about 10 dollars cheaper then 2004 so I figure I would go with 2004.

Thks for the support guys! Can't wait to get back up in the skies. Spent the last few days day dreaming about flying haha.

Pro Member First Officer
SoCalRick First Officer

Like FEM said (and I'm honored he included me) there's plenty of help here. Go for FS2004, you have plenty of horsepower.

In my best Heino voice: "Versuchen Sie es, den Sie es mögen werden!"

Lev306 Guest

alright thks everyone. You can expect to see me back here in a few days with questions about how to fly. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

You're welcome Lev306!

So "how to fly?" is the question, huh? I've got a tutorial on how to fly the ILS. It was made by me, but I used FEM's guide as a reference to it.
I can make some more tutorials. Just tell me exactly what you want and I'll write a tutorial for you, including images to make it easier. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing...unfortunately no one know what they are. Embarassed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...