STARS

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

Is there anyway to prevent ATC from vectoring you all over the place so that you can fly the STAR for the airport?

I make my own flight plan and put the STAR in it, but end up getting vectored when I am 40-50 miles from the airport.

Thanks!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

What is a STAR? I know I have the same problem about getting vectored so far away.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

If you are using ATC for the vectoring,then Im affraid the answer is no 😞
If you have programmed the flight then you could retune the radio so that you cant hear ATC(not realistic,but works)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

STAR is a standard terminal arrival route I believe 😉

Don Wood Guest

99Jolegg is correct about the title of STARs. Along with SIDs (Standard Instrument Departure), they are published defined IFR flight plans to be flown when either arrivng in or departing from the vicinity of major airports. They provide a precise shorthand that both pilots and controllers understand that contain a specific set of courses, altitudes, and speeds for IFR arrival/departure procedures. Several diffierent SIDs and STARS will usually be published for the same airport to account for arrivals and departures in different directions.

It is a lot easier and less subject to misinterpretation to receive a clearance such as: "Wifebeater 213, cleared for the Easy-One arrival, contact tower on 123.5 at the outer marker" than it would be to be cleared for all the courses, fixes, altitudes, and points of descent necessary for that arrival.

Even if you are assigned a SID or STAR, ATC can always vector you, and oftens does in busy terminal areas, to insure the smooth and safe flow of traffic.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

How do you use STAR on the sim?

Pro Member First Officer

You can't really. That's my point. I file my flight plan and don't end up flying the arrival anyway.

Pro Member Captain
Zach (ranald) Captain

Mypilot you will need the charts as FS9 does not provide them Crying or Very sad Av8r77 you can fly the STAR if you fly on Vatsim but then you will need the APP charts and all the rest.

Pro Member First Officer

I have all the approach charts/low/high altitude airway charts as well.

i will look into just doing it on VATSIM then. Only problem is there are rarely any controllers in during the week.

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

Hello, everyone's right in what they've said ..... only point to be clarified is that, as, thomas the tank said, FS2004 does not support STARS or SIDs... if you file an IFR flight plan, it assumes that you always want vectors for all of your departures and arrivals.

I use the STARS a lot and I just cancel my IFR when I'm about to follow the STAR to the runway..... then when I'm within say 10 miles of the runway, I contact the airport (VFR) and request full landing .... at least that way they will look out for me and advise of a go-around is needed.

I hope that the ATC is one of the things that microsoft improve on the next flight simulator version.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...