Why everybody here likes jumbo jets? I like small GA planes

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

in my collection, I have only one jumbo jet: LVL-D 767, although I dont know how to fly it yet, its been paking in my hanger Mad i probably wont get on board until I read though the 175 page user manual, its quite tough I have to say, so many systems and abbreviations to remember....
I fly my twin turbo prop Conquest regularly, i find much pleasure in flying this versatile aircraft.
why versatile? coz it can fly like a jet up to FL340 at around 300 knots(not much slower than a jet at all), and can also fly it like a C-172 2000 feet over a city or make it meander over a mountain path with much scenery to see.....and it can land almost any airport, airstrip, or even grass strip with reverse thrust....thats a jet cannot do.....
I would like to know why you guys like heavy jets? 😳

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I like to fly GA planes better. 👍 You are not alone. We talk about them more on here though because people need more help with them.

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

yea i like the bombardier and dahavalind planes to, but i like some jets too

Andy2005 Guest

I used to just fly the 747s and 737s IFR, but now I'm discovering the wonders of GA aircraft. I've been flying VFR more lately in a Baron. When I tried IFR in the jets again everything seemed too routined. I like the satisfaction of landing a jet on the centre line most. VFR in GA is good because it gives me more freedom. However, when flying in Cessnas over mountainous areas, route planning can get irritating because of their low service ceiling.
Andy

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I know what you mean, I tried to tour the rockies (west colorado) in a 182RG, I was dodging mountains. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

mypilot Read and re-read that manual as you will find it most rewarding once you have mastered it
There are now loads of d/loads of SID/STARS for all manner of airports and its so much better than the default Fs9 approach
It does take some getting the hang of,but keep on reading/trying 😉

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

i love GA flying thats why i ordered the FLight 1 Cessna Skyhawk 172R. Cant wait to do some touring. But ill barely fly commercial jets. thats why im not sure about getting the PMDG 744.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

I have to disagree with you GA lovers. Even though I like the Lear I just don't get as much pleasure out of it as I do when I fly the PSS A340 or A330 over long and interesting distances.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Single prop tail dragger or a DC-3, now that's flying. Not pushing buttons and having to land at huge airports, flying so high you don't need scenery.
Ga-the only way to fly, for me. you like big iron, fine that's why we have all types for the sim.
No, I don't fly the Lear either that for another group of flyers.

The sim was properly made for all different types of dreamers, that why it's so popular.

Radar

Andy2005 Guest

Another reason I suppose I like doing long-haul commercial flights is the brilliant sense of achievment after you've landed (if you land!)
But my days of sinking the heavies into the runway are over. Now I've to master taildraggers. I can land them most of the time but not really on the centre line.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

I'm such a fan of doing the small flights in alaska in all types of planes. It's really quite a blast, especially landing at small airports that are much better suited to VFR planes.

However, being a full time E.E. student (electrical engineering) and physics major for the last 3 years I crave that challenging problem to solve! To me, the vast complexity of flight planning, North Atlantic Tracks, FMC's, etc. etc. are really some of the best parts of flying those planes. I know plenty of people love the experience of it, but I love the WHY of it. Like, why and how does such a HUGE plane keep afloat, navigate, manage all the vast systems it uses, etc.

Happy flying!

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

I, myself love the physics involved. The heavy metal and wheels flexing and all that good stuff!!!!!!!

I like the big reactions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

JVD wrote:

Even though I like the Lear I just don't get as much pleasure out of it as I do when I fly the PSS A340 or A330 over long and interesting distances.

I agree with you JVD.

I only fly commercial airplanes.....mostly Airbuses. And I fly all of the Airbus aircraft. I love those long-hauls. And land an A340-600 right on the centerline with a nice angle of attack and in the right place. It feels great!
Yeah, I know, you don't get to see much of the scenery, but when I take off I get to see really good scenery. The same when I'm approaching the airport.

I do have some GA aircraft in my hangar, and I fly them sometimes. It is fun actually. But I prefer my PSS A340/A330 or my little cute baby A318/A319. And what about the wonderful A320? I just love it! It flies sooo smoothly. And the A321? Ok, that's a really good looking aircraft. I love all of the Airbus aircraft. From the A300 to the A380. There are some of them that I don't fly. It just depends on where I want to go. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

My favorite one is Beechcraft Baron 58... 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

This is why I like them... 😎

Pro Member First Officer
Kurt Stevens (KurtPStevens) First Officer

When I started with FS9, the Cessna Caravan was the biggest thing I had any interest in flying. But I came to a point where I could fly and land the thing anywhere with my eyes closed. I am almost exclusive now to the Flight1 ATR 72-500 and LDS 767 because they do offer more of a challenge. Don’t get me wrong, from time to time I still pull out a Cessna 172 just to get back to my roots and remember how to navigate VOR to VOR.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

While I like GA for relaxing "sightseeing", I also find it fun to get some of the big beasts off the runway. Getting an Antonov AN225 off the runway is a bit of work and after sweating out, "will I run out of runway?", it is a bit of a kick when you succeed. Landings can be interesting, too. 🙂)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...