Specs to have

Pro Member Trainee
FlorisGroeneveld Trainee

I have a:
2.8 GHz Intel pentium 4
512 mb ram
256 mb grafics card (G force FX5200)
when I play FS2004 I have around 15fps/sec :'(
What need to be upgraded, if I do the weater very high, (clouds, winds)
then it is even slower then 15fps/sec

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
BashDaBish Guest

There are many factors that can affect FPS - but out of your specs I reckon an additional 512mb ram will go a long way towards better performance. Put it this way, you WILL receive better performance with an additional 512mb......both in FS and all other applications/games you run on that machine.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

First upgrade ur ram at least to 1gb,and a if u have the ability get a newer vga card.But first check the difference when u upgrade ur ram and then go for the vga.

Greekman72 😉

Pro Member Trainee
FlorisGroeneveld Trainee

Thanks 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

Like everyone else said, double the memory.
If you're not sure about which to buy, you can go to the Crucial site and enter your computer model or your motherboard make and model and they will tell you what you need:

http://www.crucial.com/promo/index.asp?prog=desktop2

then, if there is any money left, get a better video card..The FX 5200 is pretty weak for a graphics hog like FS2004.

preferably at least a GForce 6600 or ATI equivalent card.

With the specs you have now, I would turn down the water effects and clear the skies of clouds to improve performance.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

FlorisGroeneveld wrote:

I have a:
2.8 GHz Intel pentium 4
512 mb ram
256 mb grafics card (G force FX5200)
when I play FS2004 I have around 15fps/sec :'(
What need to be upgraded, if I do the weater very high, (clouds, winds)
then it is even slower then 15fps/sec

G Force 5200 is not adequate, I have some experience with it(as I can remember my first card was 5400 256MB, not too sure). the size of memory on the videocard is not the main factor in rendering quality. Now I use 128 MB Radoen 9800 Pro, much much better and faster than the 256MB GF card.

Pro Member Captain
Jon Van Duyn (JVD) Captain

Well , I have been experimenting with my frame rates and the results are amazing [to me it is]. My original frame rates were locked at 20 Frame rates per second and when-ever I landed My FPS went down below 5 and back up to 20 when I took off.Now i've gone to setting,display, hardware and changed my FPS from 20 to 35.There is a big difference, with the traffic, the way my PC handles the buildings etc... The difference is that when I land My frame rates never go below 14 and when I fly my frame rates hardly ever go below 21.

Another thing that I used was the FS Auto start Utility [recommend it before increasing your FPS] that RM [Thanks 😀 ] mentioned in another post.

Anyway here's a link to FS Autostart: https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Don't worry it all seems hard to do but actually it's not.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...