Oversensitivity/Best Joystick

Pro Member Trainee
MaXimusMyth Trainee

Greetings,

What are your opinions on the best joysticks to use for flightsim? I currently use a WingMan Force feedback stick which I've owned for a long time. However, I've been considering upgrading to a better unit, especially considering that the elevator sensitivity on some of the aircraft is absolutely ridiculous, even with the sensitivity on that axis turned all the way down. I'm aware that certain craft retain higher sensitivities than others, but I find it almost impossible to smoothly pilot, for example, the King Air, the Baron, and some others, due to high elevator sensitivity. A portion of this problem must be related to the design of the stick I've been using. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

*envies those that use the fancy, authentic flight columns for the game*

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

See if this helps with the sensitivity problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;841018

As for top joysticks still available on the market at the high end saitek X45 and X52 are considered among the best.
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/pcgc.asp

I use a MS SideWinder Pro 2 USB that's no longer available.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

RM,
What is desired or best
High sensitive medium sensitive, or low sensitive. I have problem staying on the yellow line.
I have to turn right left, left right and somtimes I have to fully stop my plane. Embarassed 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

The king air has always been a problem. It's always too sensitive beyond a certrain point. Idea

Pro Member Trainee
MaXimusMyth Trainee

I don't have rudder or aileron sensitivity issues with any of the aircraft (especially lowering the sensitivity sliders and raising the null zones on all the axes), but the elevator sensitivity is still absurd for a couple planes, particularly the beechcraft line (even after reducing the elevator sensitivity slider to zero). At all speeds and all altitudes, I find myself continuously bobbing the nose up and down.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

MaXimusMyth,
The only way I feel to judge a settings is whether your comfortable with it or not.
If you cant adjust your stick it may be time to get a new one.
They do slowly wear out or have a built in defect as I just found out about my $40 mouse. After 6 months the left button contacts stop working correctly. Surfing the net I found that I wasn't the only one to have this problem.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

RadarMan wrote:

MaXimusMyth,
The only way I feel to judge a settings is whether your comfortable with it or not.
If you cant adjust your stick it may be time to get a new one.
They do slowly wear out or have a built in defect as I just found out about my $40 mouse. After 6 months the left button contacts stop working correctly. Surfing the net I found that I wasn't the only one to have this problem.

Radar

My SideWinder Pro is perfect even after 2 years use. My sesitivity settings are all at 1/3 from the left, and I have good control of the elevator......
The reason why I dont switch to a yoke is the force feedback. I find the force feedback is excellent for partial motion simulation...... without the motion feedback, I dont feel comfortbable when landing, coz I dont have the feel when the gears tough the pavement.......

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

SKIP JOYSTICKS AND USE A YOKE, IT IS THE WAY FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in my humble opinion 😀

Micah 😉

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

I posted an article here reviewing some great joysticks:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4684/

Feel free to comment on the article over there.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...