Listen in to ATC

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

I remember a post a while back, about listening in to the ATC at the local airport. I can't seem to find that post. Would anyone be able to provide a link for me?

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks Radar !

What Airport atc is this?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can actually understand them.

LIVE* Monitoring of the Busiest En Route Air Traffic Control Corridor in the world: the Northeast Atlanta Macey Arrival servicing the Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport, Atlanta Georgia USA.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks Radarman 🍻

It is easy to understand them 👍

BTW - Is it possible to get my local airport (KAVP) on a police/fire scanner?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try Radio Shack and ask if they can get it on a hand scanner, if so let them demonstrate then buy it. It's up to them to prove the worth of their merchandise to you if they want to sell it.

I thought you might like these sites.
KAVP
http://www8.landings.com/cgi-bin/nph-search_apt?airport=KAVP

http://www.landings.com/_landings/pages/ap/ap-w.html

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks Radarman 🍻

Good sites! 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

LIVE* Monitoring of the Busiest En Route Air Traffic Control Corridor in the world:

Is that taped live or actually live? I found this site one time and I got to listen to O'Hare tower. That was taped live.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

LIVE* Monitoring of the Busiest En Route Air Traffic Control Corridor in the world:

Is that taped live or actually live? I found this site one time and I got to listen to O'Hare tower. That was taped live.

I think they said that it was a 5 minute delay, probably safety or government rules.

Radar

madbrit Guest
Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks RM.

madrit, the link did not work. 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

Thanks RM.

madrit, the link did not work. 😕

Trim it http://www.liveatc.net/ nice link.

Radar

madbrit Guest

The link is working for me. Did you try a cut and paste?

http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php

You might also want to track the flight too. A couple of sites:

http://www.flightview.com/TravelTools/default.asp

Pro Member Chief Captain

Got it, thanks! 🍻

The link is getting truncated when I post the reply. After liveatc.net it should read /feedindex.php

madbrit Guest

Amazing. It's cutting it off even when I type the alst part of the address. I guess there's something the site doesn't like about f e e d i n d e x . p h p.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Radarman, I know nothing about scanners, but if I got a code for Andrews AFB, would I be able to hear the transmissions? Also, is it possible to get Air Force One's frequency?

Thanks again!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Two good questions.
I don't think they would let you eavesdrop on a military base ATC and as for AF1, I bet that's scrambled.

I base this on nothing but gut feelings, it would be interesting to find out.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks a lot Radarman 🍻

I found a ferquency for Andrews on AirNav, so it's worth a try. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'd be curious to see if they have AF1 ATC live so you could listen.

Radar

Don Wood Guest

Re: Air Force One commo, I would guess that the routine ATC communications are not encoded since they have to communicate with so many different stations as they fly. However, as a military aircraft, I would also guess they use military UHF frequencies rather than the VHF frequencies assigned for civilian use with ATC. I'm not expert on scanner technology but I think to monitor military frequencies, you have to have a scanner that covers the UHF spectrum.

For non-ATC commo, I strongly suspect those are encoded.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks Don 🍻

Radarman, do the scanners have a long-distance range? Would I even be able to get Andrews from Pennsylvania?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'm just guessing but I bet that scanners like this can only get local broadcasts.
You may however be able to (with an antenna) and knowing what "channel" to zero in on get distance broadcasts.
I used to have a nice short wave radio that with an antenna get stations all over the world plus local gab from the police, atc etc.

You can probably get better scanners at pilot supply stores, look them over and see if you can get it on the net much cheaper.

Interesting point Don. I never thought of that.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks for all your help Radar !

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...