Ancient monuments accounted for.

hutchinson Guest

I took it upon myself last night to see if the game depicted the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx, so I put myself in a Curtiss Jenny at the Giza airport and took off. It then occured to me that I had no idea where the Pyramids were in relation to the airport or the city of Giza for that matter.

So I flew in ever increasing circles around town and kept flipping the view around until I found three Pyramids and surprisingly detailed copy of the Sphinx.

This would be a great place for a screen shot, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Anyway, the pyramids and the sphinx are about ten miles southwest of the airport in Giza, in case your'e wondering.

My original plan was the fly a helicopter and try to hover right in front of the Sphinx's face, but my helicopter skills aren't quite up to that yet. I crashed a Bell Jet Ranger pretty near the airport in the process.

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That's another landmark I haven't tried to find yet.

Use this for your screenshots.

Free, 4.0, very easy to use.

http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm

Radar

Guest Ed Guest

I landed near the Pyramids and the Sphynx at the end of my recent Nile River tour (although I didn't include it in the story). There is a road to the south of the Sphynx, running more or less north-south, suitable for landing a small plane. You can taxi over for a closer view, although the terrain is a bit rough.

A couple of bizarre things about those monuments in FS09: the Pyramids are sort of floating above the ground, maybe 10 or 15 feet at the corner where the ground is the lowest. You can actually taxi the plane UNDER one of the pyramids, but if you do, you don't see the inside of pyramid; you don't see the pyramid at all, you see the surrounding sky and terrain. In other words, you can only see the pyramid from the outside.

Actually, that's true of a lot of buildings in FS09-- once I landed on a beach near San Francisco, and taxied into downtown-- since there is a lot of slope to the terrain, you can see under the corners of a lot of the buildings, where they don't actually touch the ground.

The Sphynx and Pyramids appear to be lighted at night, although there is no obvious light source.

The Sphynx is "solid," in that if you try to taxi under it, you'll get a "Building Crash."

And there are more pyramids further south-- just follow the west bank of the Nile south from Giza, and within 50 miles or so, you'll find two more places with pyramids.

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...