Approach Hold issues

Whenever i use the approach hold to turn onto my final approach, it usually does not turn hard enough and i end up miles off course and having to pull around really sharp. Is there a way to fix this or is the approach hold not really meant to line you up in a big turn. Thanx in advance for the help.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Nero89 Guest

couldve added a username to that entry. heres one i generally use when im on the net: Nero89. Ive also since learnt that as a signoff sum of u guys put what planes u fly down the bottom of a message, so heres mine.

---------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Three things: make sure when you're activating the approach mode, you've dialed in the ILS freqency for that runway, and switched your plane back from GPS to NAV. Without that it's not going to work.

Next make sure that when you're making that final turn your speed is 180kts or slower. The faster you're going the wider you're going to make that turn.

Third, don't activate it 1 or two miles out of the localizer and expect it to make the turn it time. Give it some room to do it.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

You can't approach the run in course to the runway at a 70-90 degree angle and expect the plane to turn on a dime. Every plane has a turning radius and takes up space to make a turn. 30-45 degrees for intercept will get it done.

nero89 Guest

First of all i usually start the turn about 10nm out. secondly i only make 30-40 degree turns. Thirdly, of course i tune in the ILS!! Still it is not very accurate and swings from one side to the other quite severely

badpanda Guest

I don't think that it should turn you onto course with complete accuracy, and you will have to do some of the work yourself. But i am no expert on this topic. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

The ILS will swing the closer that you get. When you are getting closer to the runway, you should be using rudder inputs to move the needle.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...