Spyware or Adware Problem?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi,

Recently, I have had a problem with either spyware or adware or whatever else it could be. It deploys icons on to my desktop which re-arranges all of my icons on my desktop and also I get loooads of pop ups --->

When I right click on it, it only displays an option to "Delete" and nothing else, which will install it further if I click on it.

I have tried all the software I have to get rid of it: Ad-aware 6.0, Microsoft Antispyware, Spy Sweeper, AVG Free, Spybot Search & Destroy and Xoftspy.

I don't really no what else to do Evil or Very Mad

Any help greatly appreciated 🙂

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

That usually happens if your firewall is down, it takes less than 1 minute for your computer to be compromised.
Clean out what you can by using the search but I think you'll have to reinstall Windows and don't be connected to the net if you do until your firewall is back up.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Try and go into "safe mode" and deleted them, run your spyware programes and AV this might get rid of them ❗

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I use a program from Avast. It prevents spyware/adware as well as virus's from ever getting on your computer. It is free for home use and automatically updates.

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

I did use a program called Pest Patrol to take the junk off the computer but since using Avast there is never anything for it to find.

Pro Member Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

I use a program from Avast. It prevents spyware/adware as well as virus's from ever getting on your computer. It is free for home use and automatically updates.

http://www.avast.com/eng/down_home.html

I did use a program called Pest Patrol to take the junk off the computer but since using Avast there is never anything for it to find.

Thank you so much ❗

It got rid of those stupid icons and a looad of pop ups. Highly recommended ❗

Thanks again 🍻

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Thank you so much ❗

It got rid of those stupid icons and a looad of pop ups. Highly recommended ❗

Thanks again 🍻

You are quite welcome, I'm glad it got rid of the junk on your computer for you. I know I have been very happy with it and you can't beat the price.🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

do you use firefox? that in itself seems to 'cut the crap'

Pro Member Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

do you use firefox? that in itself seems to 'cut the crap'

This problem I had was almost a year ago and yes, I was using Firefox. I haven't had the problem since Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

All of this could be prevented if people did one simple thing. Stop surfing the web, etc., while using a user account with administrative privileges. You don't need program installation permissions to do everyday things.

Unfortunately, 99% of PCs have only a single account with administrative privileges.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

All of this could be prevented if people did one simple thing. Stop surfing the web, etc., while using a user account with administrative privileges. You don't need program installation permissions to do everyday things.

Unfortunately, 99% of PCs have only a single account with administrative privileges.

Sorry - I don't understand. Why would not using an administrative account stop you getting viruses? Surely, viruses can still install Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Actually, depending on how the virus/trojan/worm functions, it may or may not. A good, up-to-date AV program is still needed. What it does thwart is the installation of programs that install spyware and adware. After all, if you don't have sufficient permissions to install programs, you have to go to a lot of effort to get yourself into trouble.

A bunch of years ago, I was a consultant to a public library system. The first thing I noticed is that the computers the public used, had a single account that had administrative privileges. People were either maliciously installing garbage, or more likely, being drooling morons and installing things because they were "cool, kool or kewl"

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I never thought of that, I'll create another log on for web surfing. 👍

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Good point, CG.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...