Re-fuel stops?

pearlygatesuk Guest

Hello people,

I was wondering if it would be possible on a FS9 flight plan to say take off heathrow, stop off at Charles de Gaul and fly onto Cairo (just as an example) so in-other words. You make multiple landings and take offs on one flight plan?

and completely unrelated. Why is one nav light red and the other green and on the right and left hand side - I presume there must be a reason for this.

Regards

Pearly

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Skelly Trainee

As far as your flight plan goes, you would probably have to use too, somebady correct me if I'm wrong.

The Nav light is for direction. It's a standard so you can know if the plane you see is heading toward you or away by how the lights look.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Running lights air ships same as water craft red to port green to starboard. See a ship / airplane comming at you and don't want to cut across the path of the on coming craft you keep red to red or green to green.

Refuel stops I have diverted from the flight plan and refuled at a nearby air port and then reloaded the flight plan and activated the next leg. Most of the time I make my flight plans for the distance I can safely navigate on one tank of gas.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

For your first question he answer is yes. how you do it is you go to the main FS planner. so based on your example you set Heathrow at the dep. point, then set Cairo at the arival point. then after you select find route you find charles de gual and drag the red route line on the map over the airport(Paris) then it should add the airport in our waypoints list on the right side of the screen.

Nero89 Guest

Just on a slightly different note, still related to refuelling, when i fly for example, a 747, i usually can only last about 4-5 hours of flight on a single tank of petrol ( I always fly with unlimited turned on, but just for the sake of if i wanted to be realistic sometime). I always make sure im not flying overweight but still find that im out of petrol about 2 out of singapore from sydney, for example. Mad Mad Mad

spuddi Guest

if your running out of gas, even though you know that in real life the aircraft can make that distance? it is probably that you are not flying very fuel economically.

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Hey Nero89.....
Why don't you give us some more information about your flight conditions, take-off weight, amount of fuel on board, flight level, FPM on climb, etc.
It's just not possible for a 747 to run out of fuel in 4 or 5 hours

crosscheck9 Guest

Regarding the re-fuel stops, even if you drag the route over CDG, ATC will not bring you in on the approach and vector you to land. It will ask that you return to flight level after you begin to deviate altitude and heading.

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

What you can do is file a VFR flight plan with your choice of fuel stop(way point) and after refueling file the same fl plan but under IFR.

crosscheck9 Guest

You could do that, but I wouldn't due to the fact that it is unrealistic. Normally, I'd file to different flight-plans and fly them seperately, and just imagine it was all one flight plan 😂 However, it's your sim, do as you like with it. 😀

Nero89 Guest

Im always about 5000lbs under whatever it says the plane can take and i usually fly at anywhere between 25000-28000ft. As for fuel on board, i base that on the max takeoff weight of the plane.

The speeds vary for different planes (some seem to go much faster than others do) but i usually fly about 10kts under overspeed. For most of my 747's this means 350-360kts. As for my climb FPM, i usually climb at 2500fpm.

What do u mean by flight conditions??

Nero89 Fly's:
-------------------------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

crosscheck9 Guest

I can see several corrections which could be made to when flying the 747 in your case. Your weight seems fine, but it's your flight procedures caught my eye. In a 747, you should cruise at 0.85 Mach for Econ flight. Generally, in heavies like the 747, you should cruise at or above 30,000 - This allows for better and more economic fuel burn. As for climbing at 2500fpm, is that at a constant rate? If so, that is too much. When flying the 747, 2500fpm will be my very initial climb rate, just to gain some alititude off of the ground as quickly as possible. From then on, I'd climb at 2100fpm, and reduce the VSR as I progress up the ladder. By the 30,000's I think your generally climbing at 500-700 FPM, depending on the weight of the aircraft. Hope that helps.

Nero89 Guest

Yeah that helps a lot, but whats the mach to kts conversion?? i always talk in kts so that 0.85 mach doesn't mean much to me.

Nero89 Fly's:
------------------------------------------------
Virgin Blue 737-700
Qantas 'Yananyi' 737-800
British Airways 747-400
Atlas Air 747-400

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...