Long runway

Anyone know of any UK airports or internationals that have a VERY long runway?
I am exceptionally bad at landings so I need the length!

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I don't fly in Europe much so I don't know any there, but if you are looking for a long runway, try Edwards Air Force Base in California.

However, you are probably better off practicing on normal length runways for the plane you are flying. To make it easier, either practice landing at the same airport you take off from, or land at one that is near, where you can become familiar with the terrain.

spuddi Guest

I believe that the runway at cape canaveril -bad spelling- is one of the longest in the world (the name starts NASA not Cape).

as for the longest in the UK then you want Heathrow runway 09L -27R

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Try the Space Center in California. I don't think there is a longer (or wider) runway anywhere

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

A note about Edwards Air Force Base (KEDW). It is in a dry lake bed so if you miss the runway, you still may be okay.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Here are your longun's:

1. Cape Canaveral X68 15028
2. Edwards KEDW 15008
3. Yuma KYUM 13306

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

These are the longest I could find:

Vostochny (Russia) 16404 ft
Gavia (Bravil) 16295 ft
Upington (South Africa) 16076 ft
Harare (Zimbabwae) 15502 ft
Kinshasha Ndjili (Congo) 15420 ft
Mafikeng (South Africa) 15158 ft
Hawange National Park (Zimbabwe) 15091 ft
Edwards AFB (USA) 15013 ft

Thanks for doing so much searching for these airports.
I am getting much better results on approach and touch down with these longens so thanks!

The 2 in Florida are particularly good the Cape Canaveral and NASA base as you take off from cape canaveral and then you fly straight to NASA base.

Quite fun.

Pro Member First Officer
Bartholomew First Officer

I suppose Heathrow, London, has two very long runways. Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Bartholomew wrote:

I suppose Heathrow, London, has two very long runways. Idea

They are around 11000 feet
😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...