Gear Up Flight

crosscheck9 Guest

When watching the a380's maiden flight, I noticed that for the first few minutes in the air, it was flying with gear down. I have also seen this in many other experimental flights. What is the reason for this? Is it for safety, or to actually receive results of the aircraft's performance with gear down.

PS: Radarman, I recently posted a few unrelated topics in the General section, which you had moved. I only discovered the new "Off Topic" forum yesterday. My apologies. Embarassed

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I dont know either why this happens but a thought that just have pass from my mind, is that maybe they have gears down because most of the experimental or demostration flights are in low altitude ,so in order to be ready for an emergency land they have the gears down.Maybe of course my thought is totally wrong.Im waiting also to see a post of someone who really knows the reason.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

PS: Radarman, I recently posted a few unrelated topics in the General section, which you had moved. I only discovered the new "Off Topic" forum yesterday. My apologies. Embarassed

Not a problem, I just moved them. That way it leaves this forum open for flight questions.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I know the reason why the A380 flew with the landing gear down for a few minutes. The A380 took off and the pilots didn't raise the landing gear until 10,000 ft. This was because, if I remember well, they wanted to have more weight and test the aircraft with even more weight. This is good to test airplanes because pilots need to have the skill of flying airplanes with loads of weight.

The highest altitude that the A380 flew was 27,000 ft or FL270.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I knew i was wrong.... Embarassed

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Your answer makes sense, though. 😉

Last edited by Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Very kind of you Agus. 😉 Thanks a lot.

Pro Member Chief Captain

You're welcome, Greekman! 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

I know the reason why the A380 flew with the landing gear down for a few minutes. The A380 took off and the pilots didn't raise the landing gear until 10,000 ft. This was because, if I remember well, they wanted to have more weight and test the aircraft with even more weight. This is good to test airplanes because pilots need to have the skill of flying airplanes with loads of weight.

The highest altitude that the A380 flew was 27,000 ft or FL270.

Interesting Read

Thanks for that Agus 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

You're welcome!

I have a tape of the A380 Maiden Flight with all that information.

Before the pilots decided to land, the flew to 3000 ft ASL so that the people can cheer and clap and watch that giant bird pass by. After that the pilots performed the approach to Toulouse Airport and the aircraft landed safely. It was a successfull test flight.

It's a nice story....the biggest commercial aircraft with the world's heaviest weight took off and everything was fine. No failures.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

The gear also adds drag to the airplane and causes it to be more unstable than clean. It is primarily to test the most critical phase of flight, take-off and landing.

BashDaBish Guest

How does having the gears down add more weight?

Drag makes sense

Pro Member Chief Captain

It also add weight. Do you think that the gears have no weight? They are heavy. Gears also add drag. Both answers make sense.

BashDaBish Guest

I will see the funny side of your comment 😂

What I don't understand is how gears down add's more weight. The gears are still attatched whether up or down.

This is just something I don't understand and I think my question was a fairly logical one.

Pro Member Chief Captain

It was a logical question.

I can't tell you the exact answer with all the physics and everything because I heard an A380 pilot saying that after the aircraft landed.
As I said....

This was because, if I remember well, they wanted to have more weight

I don't remember everything this pilot said, but I do remember that he said that the gears down added more weight to the aircraft.

It's a long time since I was at school but I am sure that in engineering physics there was something about altering the shape of matter and therefore altering the centre of gravity and altering the virtual weight of that matter. As the shape of the aircraft is altered by lowering or raising the landing gear then this will alter the virtual weight of the aircraft - or am thinking of something else?
This is, of course quite separate from the question of drag.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

The CG would shift down slightly. Perhaps the increased drag made the craft feel heavy. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
jaapverduijn Trainee

Greetings all!

When taking a new and "unproven" aeroplane on it's first test flight, the last thing you want is begin changeing it's configuration too soon (= too low). You really want to avoid any unexpected or uncalculated or never-having-shown-up-in-simulation changes of trim at low altitude. Remember: however much a new aeroplane has been tried out in simulation, the first real world test flight might still show utterly unexpected reactions to any change in configuration, or even slight movements of the control surfaces.

I'd much rather have that happen at a more or less decent altitude, than at 200 feet or so!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...