Pictures from work

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I work here:

I'm in the R&R shop, we do all of the flight control, landing gear, and door work. Been doing strut changes on the bird in the ISO dock all week, 3 down and one left to go. Anyway I felt like taking a bunch of random pictures, because airplanes are pretty much awesome.

No, that's not a bomb. (it's a fuel tank.) 😂
That squareish thing coming off the back of the pylon is a chaff/flare dispenser. (It's got a cover over it right now, which is there most of the time the aircraft is at home.) You can also see the tripod jack that's holding up that side of the airplane at the moment.

Looking at the ramp out the hangar door.

"Look out this window. If you see any missiles coming, pop off a few flares." (It's very high tech.)

Seats are all out, doing some hardcore work. Funny thing about all those warning tags is you have to put one up for each and every job you're doing, so all those tags are spread across maybe 5 or 10 circuit breakers for things like the aux hydraulic pump.

The wheel well, with all the gear access panels off and insulation rolled up.

Take a look at that thing behind the right paratroop door (left side of the pic.) Try and guess what it is.

Yup. 😳

That's what a toolbox should look like.

Aileron boost pack, the two silver things you see are high pressure hydraulic filters.

Utility hydraulic system- powers pretty much everything (except the cargo ramp and door, and nose gear emergency extension). The reservoir is at atmospheric pressure, then there's a suction boost pump that feeds hydro fluid to the 1&2 engine pumps. The booster system is on the other side (3&4), it powers primary flight controls, and only the primary flight controls. Any engine is turning, and you can move the yoke.

You can manually crank down the flaps and gear. (Each side of the gear is done individually, but the flaps move together.) The gear will free-fall when you pull the handle, but itt takes 650 turns to put the flaps down... Embarassed

The main gear rides up and down on ballscrews; it's simple and reliable.

Apparently when you use this method, you actually chain the gear down to the cargo floor through that bottom panel to ensure it doesn't come back up.

That's the part you would chain down.

An MLG strut, right before we put it in the airplane.

Aaaaaand a little bit of history. 😎

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Fascinating, thank you.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

gotta show these to my dad! he use to be an A&P for these birds 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

WOW That is amazing! I love the herc... say what you will but I think it is a gorgeous plane.

I also find it amazing all the controls and whatnot rely so much on that jumbled mass of metallic spaghetti junction called hydraulic lines haha. I often wonder who comes up with that twisted mess... who actually sits there and decides "ok this line is gonna convolute this way.... and we are gonna intertwine it with this line..."

lol

Excellent show and tell, thanks!!! looking forward to more.

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

belgeode wrote:

I also find it amazing all the controls and whatnot rely so much on that jumbled mass of metallic spaghetti junction called hydraulic lines haha. I often wonder who comes up with that twisted mess... who actually sits there and decides "ok this line is gonna convolute this way.... and we are gonna intertwine it with this line..."

Believe that guy's called an aeronautical engineer... But yeah it's a lot of fun. Glad I'm not in the hydro shop. (If it's not leaking, it's empty.) 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

I love the T56's, great turboprops (smokey too!)
Very good pictures, thank you for the insight 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
pinga Trainee

maybe this is the wrong place but...here it is

...sorry bad quality :')

Pro Member First Officer
CaptDennison First Officer

This is what I do

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...