Short Distance - Long Flight

crosscheck9 Guest

I have a question, to which I can't find an answer. From Bahrain Intl to King Fahd Intl, it's only about 46nm, or sumthin around that. What I don't understand, is why the flight takes 35 minutes. I went to www.saudiairlines.com then I went on as if booking the flight. The flight info said it takes 35 minutes, operated in an a320? Why is this?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
crosscheck9 Guest

Sorry for the spelling errors above. I'm too used to typing on msn. I mean "something" instead of "sumthin" 😉

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

What's the cruising altitude? I'd guess maybe around FL150? Even such a low cruising level requires probably around 10-15 mins of climbing. Add to that taxiing, the descent and approach... then taxiing to the new gate. So let's say:

5 mins taxi
10 mins climb to cruise (which is a crazy climb let me tell you)
8 mins to cover the 46 nm (TAS probably around 400 kts)
5 mins to descend (again... yeesh!)
5 mins for the landing procedures
5 mins to taxi

38 minutes and I gave insanely short times. There might be a longer SID and or STAR, so 46 nm in a straight line might be 60-70 nm with the procedures. Count the time to climb (and to descend)... I think 35 is pretty quick.

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Plus, just because it's in an A320 doesn't mean it will be flying faster. Keep in mind that under 10k feet, ALL planes are heading lower than 250kts.

You'll find that many airlines actually build delays into their flight time! It seems like cheating, but you get a lot more satisfied customers that way than if you promise them the actual point to point flight time, but get stuck in holds, delayed on taxi / departure time, etc that are standard on some airports.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...