INS waypoints

Jamie4590 Guest

Is there a rule of thumb concerning distances between waypoints? I have a flight plan where the first waypoint is 2700nm away. This doesn't cause me any problems but the track line arcs as its such a long distance. I was wondering if the wayponts are closer together would this actually make the distance shorter because the arc is less pronounced?

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

The arc is actually making the distance shorter, believe it or not

Its to do with the shape of the earth, if you were to go in a dead straight line it would be quite long. In the real world they also go the arc route where possible, because it shortens the route

Try reading this, I think its to do with the topic you are asking in the post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_circle_route

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...