CrashGordon, you're not alone (Pics may take while for 56k)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Well, first time flying a RJ-85, wasn't too sure about fuel burn, so i got toasted for points, have a look at the report and some fun screenies. They turned out nice if I may say so myself...and I will say so myself.

Flight ID: AB629
Pilot: Alex Beia
Company: Air Beia
Aircraft: BAe RJ85 Northwest Airlink
Flight Date: September 30 2005
Departure: 07h46 (11h46 GMT)
Arrival: 08h53 (12h54 GMT)
To: KCVG - Cincinnati Northern Kentu - Usa
Nbr of Passengers: 50

Report:

Flight Distance: 233 Nm Landing Speed: 124.92 kt
Time Airborne: 01h02:39 Landing Touchdown: -220.77 ft/m (nice)
Flight Time (block): 01h09:02 Landing Pitch: 3.70°
Time On Ground: 00h07:25 Landing Weight: 90215 lbs
Average Speed: 223.53 kt Total Fuel Used: 4836 lbs
Max. Altitude: FL 260 Fuel Not Used: 1962 lbs
Climb Time: 00h06:51 Climb Fuel Used: 1284 lbs
Cruise Time: 00h25:12 Cruise Fuel Used: 2139 lbs
Average Cruise Speed: 321.71 kt (M0.50) Cruise fuel/hour: 5094 lbs (calc)
Descent Time: 00h30:36 Descent Fuel Used: 1412 lbs

Passenger Opinion: Exceptional flight (100%)
-Are relieved to have landed safely after the extreme weather they experienced during landing.
-Were in a better mood because they had food.

Financial Report:

Ticket Income: +$7,915 (233 Nm)
Cargo Income: +$3,037 (5158 lbs)
Services Income: +$275 (1 sandwich 0 hot food 1 drink)
Services Cost: -$217 (89% quality)
Fuel Cost: -$3,165 (4836 lbs Jet-A1)
Airport Taxes: -$113 (Large Aircraft)
Insurance Costs: -$473 (4.32% rate)
Total Real Income: $7,259
Total Income: $362,950 (real x50)
Fleet Bonus: $0 (0 aircraft)
Total Sim Income: $362,950 (total income+fleet bonus)

Company Reputation:

Considering that the flight was perfect the ticket price low, the service price low and the service quality perfect, passengers on this flight think that your company's reputation should be 100%
Your company reputation is now: 68% (+3.18 increase)

Overall Flight Result: Perfect

Pilot Bonus points: 330 points
You made a very nice landing. (+50)
Perfect Flight, no problems and very satisfied passengers. (+150)
You landed at the scheduled airport. (+30)
Extreme weather conditions during approach, but a safe landing and satisfied passengers. (+100)

Pilot's Penalty points: -300 points
Flight regulations require that you have sufficient fuel reserves upon landing (45 mn); you only had reserves for 00h25 of flight. (-300)

Now some screenies (On landing, I did this weird "float" thing for about 5% of the runway, then it hit...first time for me at least.

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I know this is totally off-topic and my opologies to FEM, but I have to ask, I've always wondered about those 4 engine jets. Are they really worth the money? Wouldn't it be more economical to just have 2 engines?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Dont Know It would seem that they would be better off as twins. Obviously I HARDCORE underestimated fuel for that beast, Then again, I'm also used to a Pilatus PC-12 Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

They are gas guzzlers. It comes from using 4 dinky engines instead of 2 robust onesI also suspect it would take less engine if it go more lift from wings that weren't quite as stubby.

Still, it is a very likeable plane.

FSP is still nailing me for excess speed even though it never appears on the guagees or FS's overspeed alert. I'm happy to say I had the fuel figured correctly this time.

Flight OA252 End of flight report Date September 30 2005

Flight ID: OA252
Pilot: Crash Gordon
Company: OmegaAir
Aircraft: Colgan B1900C
Flight Date: September 30 2005
Departure: 13h29 (19h29 GMT)
Arrival: 16h32 (23h33 GMT)
To: KSEA - Seattle Tacoma Intl - Usa
Nbr of Passengers: 15

Report:

Flight Distance: 889 Nm Landing Speed: 92.94 kt
Time Airborne: 04h02:56 Landing Touchdown: -380.77 ft/m
Flight Time (block): 04h04:47 Landing Pitch: 8.44°
Time On Ground: 00h04:05 Landing Weight: 13719 lbs
Average Speed: 219.59 kt Total Fuel Used: 2874 lbs
Max. Altitude: FL 200 Fuel Not Used: 801 lbs
Climb Time: 00h13:09 Climb Fuel Used: 235 lbs
Cruise Time: 03h19:58 Cruise Fuel Used: 2373 lbs
Average Cruise Speed: 227.09 kt (M0.36) Cruise fuel/hour: 712 lbs (calc)
Descent Time: 00h29:49 Descent Fuel Used: 265 lbs

Passenger Opinion: Exceptional flight (100%)
-Are relieved to have landed safely after the extreme weather they experienced during landing.
-Were pleased by the music on ground. A very nice addition to their flying experience.

Financial Report:

Ticket Income: +$9,886 (889 Nm)
Cargo Income: +$1,029 (458 lbs)
Services Income: +$0 (0 sandwich 0 hot food 0 drink)
Services Cost: -$0 (40% quality)
Fuel Cost: -$2,077 (2874 lbs Jet-A1)
Airport Taxes: -$22 (Small Aircraft)
Insurance Costs: -$471 (4.32% rate)
Total Real Income: $8,345
Total Income: $417,250 (real x50)
Fleet Bonus: $0 (20 aircraft ,no flights today)
Total Sim Income: $417,250 (total income+fleet bonus)

Company Reputation:

Considering that the flight was perfect,the tickets price low,passengers on this flight think that your company's reputation should be 100%
Your company reputation is now: 80% (+1.99 increase)

Overall Flight Result: Very poor

Pilot Bonus points: 195 points (-30% because you used time acceleration)
· Perfect Flight, no problems and very satisfied passengers. (+150)
· You landed at the scheduled airport. (+30)
· Extreme weather conditions during approach, but a safe landing and satisfied passengers. (+100)

Pilot's Penalty points: -600 points
· Exceeding maximum speed of this aircraft is very dangerous. (-600)

FEM at school Guest

I would say maybe grab a different B1900D. Cause if it doesn't show up, then there's a problem with it.

Also, you can disable the speed acceleration thing so you won't be docked 30% of your available points.
I, being a fastidious purist, rarely use accel on shortish flights, but I use it for 3-5 hr flights, i just don't have that kind of time.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Four hour flight. PMDG Express B1900C. I'll look to see if I detect any difference between the gauge and the shift-z read out. I am not really worried about it since I obviously won't fire the pilot and am not using the "career" model. I do like the plane you are flying, but haven't seen it in that livery. Do you happen to recall where you got it?

Pro Member Chief Captain

actually yea, I swiped that from a VA..lemme see

Here we go

http://www.simairline.net/northwest/fleet.html

Pro Member Chief Captain

I don't think that is "swiping". Thanks for the link.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Well no, but I swipe a lot of stuff. For me, it's the general term I use for getting anything. I swipe it. Even if I pay for it, it's swiped 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's alright. I used their panel for my BAe 146-200 and 146-300. I had an even fancier panel, but it was such a pain to use, this will be better. I also grabbed their 1900D and aliased it to use my 1900C's sound. Much better than aliasing it to the KingAir.

It occurred to me that the reason they put four engines on the RJ85 was to make it fast. I think I'll try it on my KDEN-KSEA route. Won't have to resort to time compression.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Getting back to the problem of how much fuel this plane burns. I've discovered two problems. First, the amount of fuel it burns seems inconsistant with the specs for the plane. I haven't done the math yet, but I suspect the model won't do the range the plane is rated for.

The second problem is that the FSP generic load parameters for a plane of this size don't make sense. With 40 passengers and 200 lbs of cargo, I could only put in 60% fuel for a total of 99% MTOW. Needless to say, I left Denver and ran out of gas 200 miles short of Seattle. 😳

I learned a few things about such a situation with this plane. Fly it clean as long as possible, controlling descent to maintain a good airspeed. Gear down and flaps as late as possible. Un powered, this plane wants to stall if you just give it a chance. I learned this the hard way. Wall Bashing

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm going to have a look at the fuel burn and see if I can do something about it, sit tight and we'll figure it out.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Just to confirm, I left Phoenix for Flagstaff, AZ, a distance of 100 miles. I started with 45% and landed with 30%. By my calculation that is almost 405 gallons of fuel per mile. And I thought a Hummer was a gas guzzler.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Thanks for that info, I'm going to do a quick calculation and see what I can do about it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ok, I think this ought to help.

go into the aircraft folder, and find the RJ-85 folder, then open that and get out the Aircraft.cfg file. Open it with notepad, and edit this

[GeneralEngineData]

//0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop
engine_type = 1
fuel_flow_scalar = .04 This originally was 1.0, but being that we need a fuel flow closer to (in my opinion) 16 gal/MI, set it to this. Then see how it does. If it seems to use too little gas, slowly increase this number till it's realistic.
engine.0 = 6.000, -13.000, -0.500
engine.1 = 6.000, 13.000, -0.500
engine.2 = 3.000, -21.000, -0.667
engine.3 = 3.000, 21.000, -0.667
min_throttle_limit=0.000000[/b]

Pro Member Chief Captain

Will give it a try. on this plane and my BAe146's.

I looked up the plane's specs. It should have a range of about 1450 miles.

The next thing that has to be worked on is the FSP load since it makes no sense that a full passenger load allows you only 60% fuel.

Pro Member Chief Captain

SURPRISE!!! There is nothing wrong with the fuel consumption when you do not use FSP. I flew from KJFK to the Rocky Mountains at 250 KIAS, FL 250

Pro Member Chief Captain

Additional information. I located and downloaded an .ini file for the BAe 146-200/Avro RJ85 at the FSP site. It is truly screwed up. Can you imagine a plane being at MTOW with 99% fuel and no passengers or cargo. I wonder if the weight has to be adjusted in the aircraft's config.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...