Groom Lake AF Base aka Area 51

dontosaw Guest

Is the Groom Lake Area 51 Base included in FS 2004. If so,. what are the cocrdinates? Also, if you fly into restricted airspace, does the tower call?

Thanks,

Don

Answers 26 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Unsure From what I've read there is only a $ download of "area 51" for the CFS and none for fs9. It may well be in the Sim but I haven't tried to fly there yet. I may try tonight now that I have the coordinates.
This is what I found as far as the "true" coordinates are.

http://www.ufomind.com/area51/ref/latitude.html

Let us know what you find if you go there today. Surrender

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

Hi all,

I flew for more than 2 hours today in and aroound wherer 'Area 51' is suppose to be. Could not see anything. Probably hidding in all the desolate terrain I was flying over. Nothing but power poles and roads.

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner

there is a slightly darker patch of desert with a green grass border in FS2002

Pro Member Trainee
maddoc Trainee

there is a region of buildings and roads in fs9 at the area of the area 51 site, but no runways. it is nearly due north out of the yucca flats runway, just east of the papoose mountain. there is a comercial add on from alpha sims in england. even better i just uploaded a groom lake base to sim-outhouse whch is more accurate than the alpha version. i will soon update it with some major improvements. i just built a rather detailed hangar 18. please send comments.....doc

Pro Member Trainee
maddoc Trainee

by the way my area 51 base is built on real scene terrain, but it works with the default terrain. the alpha base looks awful with the rs terrain since the runway is elevated above the dry lake base.

both the yucca strip and the pahut mesa strip are in restricted areas, namely the nevada test sight. the large sedan crater is included in my scenery....doc

Pro Member Trainee
maddoc Trainee

oh yeah, the alpha version comes with a wonderful little flyable saucer. it's cheap and you can download it....doc 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I'll post this in 2 places.

Maddoc,
Thanks for designing this, I just downloaded it and will install it tonight.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/

Pro Member Trainee
maddoc Trainee

i'll try to get the improved version up next week, as well as some of the apis...doc 👍

Prowler Guest

hi.me nad my friend were flying about in stealth fighters on fs9 the other day...we came across a large runway in the grand canyon.i know its no area 51 but it was really funny i have got a screenshot and it looks just like the place😀

maddoc wrote:

there is a region of buildings and roads in fs9 at the area of the area 51 site, but no runways. it is nearly due north out of the yucca flats runway, just east of the papoose mountain. there is a comercial add on from alpha sims in england. even better i just uploaded a groom lake base to sim-outhouse whch is more accurate than the alpha version. i will soon update it with some major improvements. i just built a rather detailed hangar 18. please send comments.....doc

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

There's a Groom Lake\Area-51 scenery add-on @ simviation.com under scenery

Pro Member First Officer
George (OrlandoGeorge) First Officer

dontosaw wrote:

Is the Groom Lake Area 51 Base included in FS 2004. If so,. what are the cocrdinates? Also, if you fly into restricted airspace, does the tower call?

Thanks,

Don

-Thanks for posting about this Don. This is also something that I really looked for when I first started flying jets in the FS. I was looking for it because I knew it had a super long runway in the real-world and figured that this would be replicated in the Sim. Much the same idea as the salt flats at Edwards AFB in Cal.

Main reason I was looking for it was because I was in real need to practice my fledgling flair maneuvers and figured that if I had a forgiving amount of runway space then I could practice easing the nose down much more slowly before touching the tires and also work on my landing speed which was a problem for me.

area 51 is nellis afb

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

This just out, I didn't try it yet.

Groom Lake Area 51

File Description:
Secret Military base in Rachel, Nevada where supposed to be a secret underground part that studies and test airplanes and other flying craft. It also is known to do outer space things and has several alien in there base. This base was redone with satelite images with exact apron, runway, taxiway, lighting and parking. I redid this from TJ Synkral's Area 51 and used everything that was not included in his. I also added the helicopter area. This is sutable for AI with what ever airline you want. I recommend getting the Janet Airlines AI and regular aircraft you can fly on FlightSim.com It might be here on avsim, im not sure. Enjoy I would like to ask if anyone could redo this with buildings on it where it is on the background satelite i would like that

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=area_51.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

first of all, "Area 51" is a name some magazine coined about the facility. The actual government name is "Groom Lake AFB and Research Facility"
So, no.. it is not Nellis AFB.

Secondly, there is nothing but desert in FS9 where the supposed location of Groom Lake AFB is, which doesnt surprise me becuase it's a very secret goverment operation, whatever it is meant to do.

If anyone DOES find something in the default scenery, please share it with us! 😀

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

I found it on Google Earth just by searching "Area 51"

You can see the co-ord's on the picture below:

Hope this helps 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The Groom Lake Facility is the most unsecret secret base in the world. 😂

For whatever reason, the Air Force is extremely sensitive about the true nature of the facility. My guess is that it really was a super-secret base at one time, but now is kept to distract folks from where the real secret stuff is going on. 😳

Pro Member First Officer

that's a good point crashgordon..

the other possibility is that the majority of the actual facility could be underground.... i've read rumors that the facilities at Groom Lake are like an iceberg, and that what you see on top is a small percentage of the facility as a whole. ... it's very possible. i believe there are things underground there that the gov't doesn't want us seeing... but that's a whole different topic 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

LOL flyboy, your theory sounds exactly like the airfroce base on GTA San Andreas...

Pro Member First Officer

well first off.. i am not flyboy, lol

nice nickname tho CT 😉

and yes.. that is just like the secret base in GTA San Andreas (i love that game 😀) .. but where do you think they got that idea from??

idk.. it's just a theory 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Oops- sorry for the mistake pilotguy44 Embarassed

I also love San Andreas- I clocked it last year ❗

Fridayz Guest

Most of the Nevada desert and beyond on Flight Sim is Military Operation Areas and No Fly Zones.

And like what someone said before, Most of the facility is kept well below ground level for extra security. And I bet the Government itself doesnt even know whats down there.

And the only reason that makes clear sense is that they have Extra Terrestrial Craft and Extra Terrestrials themselves in there and do not want to cause a fuss amongst the public and press, otherwise why would the security be SO tight for a facility that just tests and researches on modern day aircraft and fighter planes.

MasterOfDisaster Guest

Anonymous wrote:

HI everybody I'm Pieter Hendrickx from Belgium and Since a Couple of years I investigate Nellis A.F.B. and the secret Base Groom Lake I have seen a verry nice picture in this forum and I hope that some people on this forum can give me the information ha allready has found of Groom Field AND Nellis! cause it can help me with my invetsigation you can contact me on pieter.hendrickx@skynet.be msn adres is the same !!!ALL IFORMATION IS WELCOME!! (also pictures are welkom!) 😎 CYA!

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

MasterOfDisaster wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

HI everybody I'm Pieter Hendrickx from Belgium and Since a Couple of years I investigate Nellis A.F.B. and the secret Base Groom Lake I have seen a verry nice picture in this forum and I hope that some people on this forum can give me the information ha allready has found of Groom Field AND Nellis! cause it can help me with my invetsigation you can contact me on pieter.hendrickx@skynet.be msn adres is the same !!!ALL IFORMATION IS WELCOME!! (also pictures are welkom!) 😎 CYA!

What would you like to know?, because it is not secret anymore, we can see, tha an airline called JANET AIRLINES flys there every day with personel, and it takes of from LV int. Airport. this area is huge, many maps marks this big zone as a military place which is big!.
With google earth, you can se that the main base is the Area 51, but if you go to west you will se a nukes test place, with many craters (this explanes to my, the 1,030 atomic tests USA has made since 45´, not counting Trinity test site).
And go to the north, you can se some other runways and small facilityes, one famouse called Area 11, which is another air force base think is thonopa test range.
Well if i have soe time i can send you some pics from Google earth, to see what i mean.
Thanks 🙂

gumball Guest

Nellis AFB is not Groom AFB. But Nellis is an access point to Groom AFB. Who, out there, has some good recent updated information. All I know is that The Aurora Project was/is built by Lockheed-Martin. I found out from a connection who had a connection to a spec-opt at Groom, and confirmed that that plane exists. My question is where are the ram/scram jet engines made. I read across and note that these engines were made in BMW. But unconfirmed. I have talked to a current, non military pilot who says that when Groom AFB is not "HOT", it is flyable over. But otherwize, it is off limits.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Last post: Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:56 am

It's a good idea to check when the last post was made, you can bet that nobody will respond to a 5 year old thread, your just wasting your time.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...