plasma tv and screen resolution

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

hi, i was thinking of buying a large plasma tv to run fs9 on, i was going to get another couple of pc and network them to get a large display but it looks like it will be a lot of work to set up,so im going to go with the easy option of just buying a large display,in the plasma specs the screen resolution is 852x400 now i usually run fs9 at 1024x768 so i imagine there will be a big difference in the way fs9 looks but i should get good performance. i would like some advice from anyone who runs fs9 on a large tv screen regarding looks and performance.

thanks
jimimac

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im not running FS in a plasma TV and im not talking as an expert,but i would like to notice you a point that i believe you must think about...The distance between you and your TV.The closer you are the worst vision you will have.Of course a plasma TV has much better performance than a usual TV with CRT screen but distance is always a point.How many inchs you think your TV will be?

Some useful infos about Plasma TVs¨

http://www.plasma.com/classroom/about-plasma.htm

😉

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

thanks for answering, probably about 3-4ft, i may also consider a 32inch lcd tv

jim

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think its too close for such a big screen... 😳 😳 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Yeah I agree. The whole aspect of "let's look to the left and see if we can find this instrument on the panel" seems a bit daunting to me 😉

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

what do you recommend?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Get a 19'' or 21'' monitor,TFT or CRT(it depends on your cash)and use a splitt programm to see multiple tasks there.Of course this is only my opinion.Final choice is alwyas yours. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
jimimac Trainee

thanks i will consider those options

jim

Pro Member Trainee
jaapverduijn Trainee

Greetings all!

I use a 21 inch CRT monitor with a fresnel lens in front of it. This lens not only enlarges the picture but, because it acts as a collimator, it also moves its focus further away which gives some impression of depth and distance.

The disadvantage of a fresnel lens is that it takes away some sharpness and clarity, but cranking up the digital vibrance (in NVidia cards) minimizes these disadvanages sufficiently (at least for me) to never fly without the lens.

In fact, when I remove it, my 21 inch monitor looks VERY tiny indeed!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jaapverduijn wrote:

Greetings all!

I use a 21 inch CRT monitor with a fresnel lens in front of it. This lens not only enlarges the picture but, because it acts as a collimator, it also moves its focus further away which gives some impression of depth and distance.

The disadvantage of a fresnel lens is that it takes away some sharpness and clarity, but cranking up the digital vibrance (in NVidia cards) minimizes these disadvanages sufficiently (at least for me) to never fly without the lens.

In fact, when I remove it, my 21 inch monitor looks VERY tiny indeed!

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn.

Hack Hey Jaap, what's cooking?? I'm a mere mortal - so please explain!

what's a fresnel lens?
where can I get one?
what's the price tag?
what's a collimator?
how do you crank up the digital vibrance?
are there fresnel lenses for 17 -19 inch CRTs available?

I'll be much well(er) once I get my head around everything you suggested 🤔

Regards, Rick 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
jaapverduijn Trainee

Hi Rick!

A fresnel lens is a basically a convex lens that is cut up into concentric rings, with the result that it ain't "bulbous" anymore but is thin and flat instead.

I got mine from an online seller of stuff for the visually impaired, but several other sites have them too. They are often sold as "TV magnifiers" or "computer monitor magnifiers".

The price depends on the quality, but the above-mentioned things should be in the range of 100 to 150 US dollars (I am presuming you live in the States).

A collimator, put in my own unscientific way (grin!) makes the rays of light coming out of the monitor more parallel, thus giving the illusion that the picture is further away than it actually is.

You'll find the "digital vibrance" settings in: Monitor properties - Settings - Advanced - GeForce 6800 (you may have another GeForce card) - Color correction. It may depend on the video drivers you're using, although you would need to have VERY old drivers in order not to have the "Digital vibrance" option.

Fresnel lenses are available in several different sizes. Generally speaking, you should buy one that is roughly the same size as your screen. Although it magnifies, it doesn't need to be (much) larger than the screen, because the lens is placed between you and the monitor.

I guess you'll be "wellest" now (grin)!

Jaap Verduijn.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks Jaap,

you're a genius - it'll take me a while to digest all of this information - but you managed to put it in words that even I can understand 😉

The piggy bank... the piggy bank...

Maybe I should have two instead of one ❓

But who's gonna feed them ❓

You guessed right : I am super"wellest" now 😀 Thanks again

Rick

Pro Member Trainee
jaapverduijn Trainee

"(...) you're a genius (...)"

Would you please tell this to my wife (wide and wicked grin)?!

Be wellwellerwellest!

Jaap.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

jaapverduijn wrote:

"(...) you're a genius (...)"

Would you please tell this to my wife (wide and wicked grin)?!

Be wellwellerwellest!

Jaap.

Wives is always wives-women...if you salute her as the first man who steps to Mars she will tells you that you dont help her clean the house last time and she'll have a face like a crying monkey .... 😉

Not offensive to this sensitive and lovely ❤️ creatures of God...just kidding... 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...