why the nose goes to left when the wind blows from my left?

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

on the ground. I thought the nose would be pushed to the wind direction,
but it goes the opposite way.
I tried a few airports, all the same!!...i mean on the ground only

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest

The wind is hitting the tail and turning you into the wind.

When you taxi into a head-wind in a smaller aircraft, turn the yoke into the wind. With a tail-wind, which you'll get during the taxi to the active runway, push forward and turn away from the wind.

You'll need to change the yoke position as you taxi around the airport.

The idea is to 'show the upper control surfaces to the wind' and prevent the aircraft from being flipped over.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

great, so the sim has nothing wrong, I was wrong.......i will read more about the wind correction......thanks a lot

jkheavy Guest

there are a couple of reasons the plane pulls to the left. first the prop is turning to the left which causes alot of the pull. when you steer on the ground the wind has alot to do with it and that is why when you taxi into a headwind you push the yoke in (nose down) and turn the ailron into the wind, when you taxi with a tailwind you leave the ailron nuetral and turn the yoke away from the wind. you notice when your taking off in the single and twin prop your nose pulls a great deal to the left that is from the prop turning very fast to the left as looking at it from the seat and also the prop wash makes a spiral of air that goes over and under your wing and also pushes the left stablizer down and that is most noticable when taking off, climbing out and flying slow (slow flight) in the same circumstance in the jet you don't get this cause thats more of a centerline thrush. hope this helps

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

i got it...thanks a lot...
BTW, do you think all the factors are precisely caculated and simulated in FS2004?

Don't want to start an argument here but the forward/back positioning of the yoke is opposite to jkheavy's response.

TAXIING INTO A HEADWIND

The speed of the wind is added to the aircraft speed and the controls will repond to that total velocity of airflow over them. e.g. 15kt head wind with a taxi speed of 10kt is the same as taxiing at 25kt.

In a direct head wind hold the yoke in a level position. Using forward pressure increases the load on the nose gear, compresses the nose strut and puts the propeller closer to the ground. Not generally a problem but on rough ground it can increase the possibility of the prop striking the ground.

In a quartering head wind, turn the yoke fully into the wind with no forward pressure for the same reasons above. In heavy head winds on smooth ground slight forward pressure can be applied to provide more nose wheel traction to counteract the lift being generated.

TAXIING INTO A TAILWIND

The speed of the wind is subtracted from the aircraft speed and the controls will repond to that total velocity of airflow over them. e.g. 15kt tail wind with a taxi speed of 10kt is the same as taxiing at 5kt.

With the wind coming from directly behind the aircraft apply full forward pressure on the yoke to prevent the tail being lifted and the nose being lowered. Again, this prevents the prop striking the ground.

With a quartering tail wind, the most critical wind condition in a high winged tricycle gear aircraft, turn the yoke fully away from the wind and apply full forward pressure. Make turns at a slower speed to avoid increasing the natural tipping effect of the aircraft during a turn.

In both cases when stopping the aircraft the wind effect on airflow will be decreased in a head wind and increased for a tail wind. The yoke needs to be correctly positioned even when not moving. Especially important in a quartering tail wind.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...