HELP!!! FS2004 will not start up?

JC01GTP Guest

Ok i have installed FS04 in the past with no problems. Recently i had to dump my system and start over because of clutter and spyware issues. Well the FS04 bug hit me again and i want to start playing, only problem is it will not load. I install the game, click run, and nothing happens.....at all....i check my task manager and FS04 is not listed but when i click on processes it lists the exe file???What am i missing????

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You got disk 4 in your drive?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Make sure that when you reinstalled the sim it made a folder in your "My Documents" folder called "Flight Simulator Files"
Dont know why but sometimes it fails to make this folder
If its note there,make one yourself

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Also make sure you have the latest DirectX.

Radar

JC01GTP Guest

I have Disk 4 and i downloaded the newest Directx...i dont want to DL from the microsoft site for various reasons. The DirectX was a redistribution file and when i thew it into the DirectX root it didnt overwrite any files...i have installed Fs04 before and never had a problem???

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Do you have the folder that tomthetank asked about. Without it you can't launch the sim.

Radar

I have tried everything...nothing is working. When i was initially installing the game my power was disrupted sometime during the 3rd CD loading, could this have corrupted important windows files? causing FS04 to not load when reinstalled the second time?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Try these.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837195

If you have to reinstall clean it out like this.
https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/3805/

Then defrag and reinstall.

Let us know how you do.

Radar

Something very strange occured while trying to find FS9.cfg, it does not exist anywhere on my computer? I have no idea what might have happened but i will try to manually uninstall it and start all over.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Something very strange occured while trying to find FS9.cfg, it does not exist anywhere on my computer? I have no idea what might have happened but i will try to manually uninstall it and start all over.

Try this :

Control Panel
Folder Options
View
scroll down and click on the radio button ➡ Show hidden files and folders

Then: Windows Explorer
Local disk (C)
Documents and Settings
your Name (i.e.Guest)
Application Data
Microsoft
FS9 (click on the folder)

In your right hand pane you should find FS9.CFG

It works 😀 Rick

Last edited by Tailhook on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total

Ok i give up..i tried everything and fs9.cfg does not show up on the computer? Maybe i have a defective game, i will give it back to walmart and exchange it for a different one. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I can't see how that will help but you never know.
Let us know how you do.
Make sure the old install is completly cleaned out before you install the new one.

Radar

I personally have never had a defective game disk but it was the last one on the store shelves right next to a really beat up one. I just find it odd that when i run the %app%/flight Siulator/FS9 in run it tells me no such file exists? How can this be? how can FS04 not load a critical file such as this. It also loads the entire game but when the "run now" feature is clicked it does nothing.....this is just driving me nuts. I'm gonna dig deep in my Nvidia settings and see what i can come up with.....

OK guys i'm up and flying!!!...turns out i had to log on as administrator in order to install and fly FS2004. Feels good to be flying around again....thanks for everyones help. Hell i might just sign up for this forum for good... 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Great news! Sometimes the simple fixes elude us.
Enjoy!

Radar

PLEASE!!!! can anybody out there help me i have fs2004 disks 1-3 but no 4 and i am dying to play the game has any1 got any suggestions of how to help me play the game without disk4

THANKS!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Why always the lost or destroid or damaged or firing or smashed or,or, or...is number four???It makes a lot of sence to me.. ❗

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...