Was Working, Now Keeps Crashing

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

Hi chaps,

I had flight sim 2004 installed and working some time ago, since then I've changed hard drive, re-installed XP but now after the splash screen comes up, screen goes black and it crashes back to windows.

Tried using CD, no CD crack for both V9 and the 9.1 update. Still no joy.

Any idea's would be VERY welcome.

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
Ati X800 GT Graphics Card
250GB Free Hard disk
Windows XP Pro (Have also tried XP MCE 2005)
C Media 7.1 Sound

PLEASE HELP 😞

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

FS is the only program that crashes?
If its the only one i could think of a bad installation or some damaged or corrupted files.You dont reffer to you ram but i guess that if it was a rams problem you would have it in past too.

Have you try reinstall FS?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Be sure you have DirectX 9.0c.
Be sure you have a folder in "My Documents" called "Flight Simulator", you can't run without that.
If all fails clean out your old video drivers and install new ones, they can become corrupted.
Use the right crack, if you have the patch installed use 9.1.

Let us know how you do.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

1GB 400Mhz RAM

Got Direct X9c and the latest ATI drivers, got a 400w PSU and the temp's are all good.

Yep got the Flight sim folder in my documents, but it is empty?

Tried installing it 5-6 times and un-installing tried the no cd with V9 and then updating to v9.1 and using the patch then (i did use dif patches for v9 and 9.1) even tried old graphics drivers.

CFS 3 is also a bit unstable but no problems with any other games (about 20 of them)

When I had it working a while ago it worked fine, never had any problems. Really pissing me off now! Mad

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If your having problems with graphic intensive software I would clean out the drivers and reinstall them, like I said they can become corrupted, even DirectX can become corrupted.

Have you defragged lately or cleaned the dust out of the fans, especially the heatsink fan.

None of this can harm anything, just help.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

have you set any program specific gfx settings using the ATI control panel like forcing a very high AA or AF rate?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Be sure you have a folder in "My Documents" called "Flight Simulator", you can't run without that.
Radar

I'm trying to remember if that file should be empty after a new install, it seems like it shouldn't be but I see where he says his is. I was thinking that had some default flight information in it after an install.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You have to remember what you have change from your previous systems set up to the new one.If and how did you copy some back up data ,and what you have recently change or set up to your system etc.

Did you follow the traditional method of formating and installing one by one all the programs and games or you use a ghost program or something familiar in order to set up your system to your new hard drive?

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Yes previous flight etc,...goes into those folders. Also after a flight you can replay previous flight(s). During a rebuild it took me three times once. I uninstalled video drivers ATI 800 Pro. I need to update them again. But I will uninstall FS9 first then update the drivers then install FS9. For some reason XP Pro SP 2 needs to have things reinstalled or maybe it is FS9 that needs it. I get errors about DirectX 9 not being installed properly but everything works. This error happens even after I have run all of the tests in diaxg.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

Sorry guys but still no idea.

There are no old drivers on the system, It was a new HD, installed XP then downloaded the latest drivers and installed them all manually. I installed Direct X from the microsoft site (not saved to hd) All other software was installed from the original CD's not from a image.

I had the case open to change the hd (obviously) and did clean off all the heat sinks etc of any dust.

It cant be graphics intence stuff, I run Half Life 2, GTA etc in 1200x1024 with max detail and they all work fine and have much higher demands than FS.

No specific settings I have used ATI Tool to clock the graphics card but i've reset it back to try and sort this out.

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

Bit more info.

The dialouge box that come up after crashing gives out the following

Appname fs9.exe
AppVer 9.1.0.40901
ModName mfc70.dll
ModVer 7.0.9466.0
Offset 0004a536

All I know is the dll is something to do with C++ tools library's
fs9.exe Tried 3 diferent versions: V9.0 Standard, V9.0 NoCD, V9.1 NoCD

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan is right but you can also try to instal FS in another PC(...to avoid some comments about piracy i suggest it just for the needs of troubleshotinge) if you have the abillity ,to see what will happen.I cant get off my mind that maybe your CDs are damaged.

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

Installed on my laptop and worked no problems from the same discs. The only thing I can think of is that I may have had XP home instead of MCE last time on my desktop (laptop is on XP Home too) I have tried formatting and using XP Pro but still no joy. I've not got Home Edition so I cant try it on my Desktop. Cant really see that it would be a problem anyway.

But the discs are obviously fine, before anyone ask's why I dont just use it on my laptop it's for work only. plus it runs a bit shit! Only a 1.2 Ghz

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

!!!!!! NEARLY !!!!!!!

If I load the fs9.cfg file into notepad and change show_opening_screen to 0 when you launch FS it works (goes straight into a flight though) when you press escape and end flight it crashes again.

So I guess it is something to do with the Menu screens

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

Does anyone know much about the fs9.CFG file?

The only way I can get FS to run is to change

SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN= FROM 0 to 1
FULL_SCREEN= FROM 0 to 1

This makes FS load (in a window) and go straight to a flight. I can then use the menu bar to make chages after. It also works if I leave FULL_SCREEN at 1 but then if I press ESC and press end flight it crashes back to windows again.

Could it be an opening video intro? I do have lot's of codecs installed as I use my desktop for video editing.

Come on some bright spark must know! So Close!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I've just looked at my fs9.cfg which is still in it's virgin condition due to a very recent new install.

Your

SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN= FROM 0 to 1
FULL_SCREEN= FROM 0 to 1

values are spot on.

That's all I can tell you 🙂

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

stairmand wrote:

Bit more info.

The dialouge box that come up after crashing gives out the following

Appname fs9.exe
AppVer 9.1.0.40901
ModName mfc70.dll
ModVer 7.0.9466.0
Offset 0004a536

All I know is the dll is something to do with C++ tools library's
fs9.exe Tried 3 diferent versions: V9.0 Standard, V9.0 NoCD, V9.1 NoCD

Without going through the whole thread didn't you update FS2004 with the patch?

If so I'm thinking that for some reason your Windows/system32 wasn't updated to mfc71.dll. I don't even have a mfc70.dll file in my Windows/system32 folder. You might try reinstalling the patch and see what that does.

I'm not certain but I have to wonder if the patch didn't replace the mfc70.dll with the mfc71.dll, but I am certain I don't have the mfc70.dll and the sim runs fine for me.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Correction, I do have that dll, but it is in the flight Sim folder and not in the windows/system32 folder.

greetoz Guest

stairmand wrote:

Hi chaps,

I had flight sim 2004 installed and working some time ago, since then I've changed hard drive, re-installed XP but now after the splash screen comes up, screen goes black and it crashes back to windows.

Tried using CD, no CD crack for both V9 and the 9.1 update. Still no joy.

Any idea's would be VERY welcome.

Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
Ati X800 GT Graphics Card
250GB Free Hard disk
Windows XP Pro (Have also tried XP MCE 2005)
C Media 7.1 Sound

PLEASE HELP 😞

i have exactly the same problems with same pc config... it was working here to. i think its the ATI X800 XL (i have the XL) did you manage to solve it?

Pro Member Trainee
stairmand Trainee

Nope, still un-solved. Tried so many things my head hurts.

help man Guest

Delete the OLEACC.DLL file from the root of the Flight Simulator directory and you are good to go.

Bugger Me, Well done that man.

Your a f**king saviour. I Love you.

guest Guest

Got a problem when i delete the file i get a new error:
AClayers.dll what should i do.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...