Hovering Helicopters

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

Hi, im having a real problem trying to get my freeware helicopters to hover, there are no flying notes etc on these aircraft and I just end up spinning into the ground and crashing Embarassed

What am doing wrong? Is there an auto hover key or somthing?

I spent a good 3 hours trying it on my Sea King, Lynx, Gazelle, and Huey, all of them the same results.....spinning my stupid ass straight into the ground and eating the very worms I landed on!!!!

Help Please Dont Know

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

www.hovercontrol.com
The best website out there regarding Helicopter Flight Simulation

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

they do a special HUD display which helps you learn to hover... they also do lessons i think

www.hovercontrol.com is definately the place to go

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, ive just read the following instructions on thier forum:-

The Procedure: Rules

Fly a standard pattern, 500 AGL and 80-100 knot airspeed. Line up on short final for the desired runway, check that it’s clear, and within your glide range. Press Ctrl+F1 (or the previously mentioned joystick button) to roll off the throttle and smoothly, but quickly, lower the collective fully.Here’s where we run into a glitch in FS2004, immediately after lowering the collective you have to bring in about 10-20 % up collective otherwise for some odd reason the rotor rpm will quickly degrade and will be unrecoverable. This is totally unrealistic, but is the only way to make it work in FS2004.

It did work but with quite a bump 😳 and like the guy says "unrealistic"
If this is the way its done in FS2004 than so be it, but im open to any more suggestions from any desktop helicopter pilots

many thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

same thing happend to me...
you pulled the stick to much back and it went backwardss,just try to avoid it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Have you given up yet?? Wall Bashing
If you haven't explored this tutorial yet, you might want to have a look at it ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=helicoptertutorial.zip&Author=&CatID=root

You have 2 versions of it on your .zip file - a .doc one, to be read with Microsoft Word, and a .pdf file, to be read with the free Adobe PDF Reader.

The tutorial looks very good in Word with sharp pics of the panel during different stages of flight. Other than that... I couldn't really try out the tutorial myself --- you see... I get dizzy very easily Fear

Hope you're on your way to succeeding in your efforts Tee Hee

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

ill give it a try Tailhook, just as soon as i get my new pc up and running, ill let you know how i got on with the tutorial.

cheers 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I wish you the best of luck Sonic - I know how taxing it can be to have to deal with the stubborn mentality of a new computer. On the other hand you seem to get plenty of valuable help and advice from our inhouse experts.
Keep us posted 👍

Pro Member First Officer
sonicninja First Officer

ive had what i consider to be some expert advice on getting a new pc from the guys on here, just cant wait to get my £££ through and purchase it now 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

sonicninja wrote:

ive had what i consider to be some expert advice on getting a new pc from the guys on here, just cant wait to get my £££ through and purchase it now 😀

What's holding you back then...?? Don't tell me the old dragon from Wales has paid you a surprise visit 😳

ROFL ROFL

xfg

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

helicopters? - fly the chinook - that takes away half the problems 😂 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

verygom wrote:

helicopters? - fly the chinook - that takes away half the problems 😂 😂

How so?? -- And which one?? Please explain!!!

...why do I get the feeling that this is another joke I don't get Wall Bashing

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

With twin main rotors and no tail rotor the Boeing Vertol Chinook V1.1 is easier to control in sim form than a conventional tail rotor aircraft particularly if you do not have foot pedals. On the ground steerable wheels make for easy 'taxiing' or repositioning without going into the hover.Tom Woods and Mark Adams who designed the sim hang out at Hovercontrol which as mentioned above is the place to go for helicopters. An HUD and auto hover is included on this model which was designed for multiplayer use.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks VG, you've rekindled my interest in the Chinook. I had a nice one in FS2002 but never really attempted to fly it as at that stage frustration with whirlybirds had peaked. So I parked it at Bhutan on a crisp spring morning and just drooled over it and took pics.
Your observation regarding the rotors makes good sense - there's a separate soundset available too : Ch47snd. Just gotta find a very courages co-pilot now Fear

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...