Warning Sounds....What can it mean?

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Dear fellow Simmers,
have'nt posted in a while because everything seemed to be working fine.That was up to a few nights ago.

Flying VFR online with the SF260 when suddenly and without warning this loud,two tone warning attacks my ears.Similar to a old style ambulance sound I did all I could in the cockpit to disable this sound.No Joy.To my horror this sound continued after exiting the flight and continued into the "select a flight" page.Only exiting FS9 shuts it off.

For my part I've scanned FS9 with IS2005 and Spybot and Spy Doctor with no result.

I have reviewed my addons for the past two months and apart from 2 sets of skins for the Machetti the rest is payware scenery.

I discovered a nasty little program called NewDotNet on my system a week or so ago and it has taken me five days to get rid of it.But I cannot imagine why this might have any bearing on the problem.

I have checked three other aircraft with similar results.

No warning or dialogue box comes up...... there is only the warning sound.

The warning sound is not an FS9 sound even though it only occurs within FS9.

I have googled the prob without result.

I know it is something we all go though with FS9. we seee a problem that we know is not serious but then we see something we get a bad feeling about.This is one of those times for me.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas as to what this might be I would be most grateful to hear them.

My system specs are:
Windows XP.SP2
AMD Athlon 64 +3500
1 Gig RAM
Radeon X800 Pro

regards

kevin

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It could be a warning sound that you are overheating or something is loose inside your case.

Open the case, reseat everything, check the connections and above all clean the fans and be sure they are running.
Check the heatsink fan for caked-in dust.

Let us know how you are doing.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Thanks Radarman,

first thing in the morning the box is going on the table for a spring clean.I'll let you know how I get on.

regards

kevin

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

i used to get a similar sound when my CPU overheated

check your heat sink... mine looked like :

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ass an addition to the former right suggestions, i would suggest too, to try restoring your system(of course have in your mind all the consequences about loosing everythink you have installed the day after restore point😉 )

Pro Member Trainee
kevin2003 Trainee

Well I opened the case and found dust everywhere.The onboard fans of the CPU and Card were choked.My heatsink made Insight's look clean and the vents on the side of the case were also blocked up.

If my case was a Ford Transit it would have had "Clean Me" written on the back of it. 😂

Being mindful of the risk of static electricity I put on my "marigolds",got out my Q-Tip buds and went to work.20 minutes later....good as new.

Flew a 40 min flight and would you believe it.......no probs!

We all learn something new everyday...and I certainly learned something today.Right on the money as usual Radarman.Thankyou!

Thanks too for Insight and Greekman.

warmest regards to all forum members.....

kevin

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

glad to be of assistance

my pic is of course after I have removed all that crap from the sink itself.. you couldn't even see the separate blades when I started lol

🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

👍 Fantastic, I'm glad to hear that just dust was the problem. It happens more often than not.
Enjoy!

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thats great news my friend.Enjoy your flights now... 👍

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

I'm happy it worked for you - Just as a side note, how many times is one supposed to clean out his cpu, and what benefits can I reap if I have less dust accumulated in there? Thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

I'm happy it worked for you - Just as a side note, how many times is one supposed to clean out his cpu, and what benefits can I reap if I have less dust accumulated in there? Thanks

It depends where you keep it. If it's on the floor it'll gather more dust than It would if it were on the desk.
I'd say you'd be safe doing it at least every 3 months, more if you see it's heavy with dust.
I clean my keyboard every week with some compressed air and don't forget to do your printer when you do the computer.
Mice, once a week if it's a ball type, I clean the outside and lens (and monitor screen) once a week also.

Radar

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

So your saying if I did that, I'll get a better perfromance out of FS?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

So your saying if I did that, I'll get a better perfromance out of FS?

If dust and heat is your problem yes. You'll get better performance out of your computer also.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...