A couple of interesting gagues

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Ran across a couple of gauges on AVSIm that sparked my interest.
You can get a good handle on what the wind is doing and correct you track to compensate.

File Description:
FS2004 KillDrift Gauge v1. The video screen on this gauge graphically displays the effect of wind on the track of an aircraft. This allows the pilot to eliminate drift error. Wind speed and wind direction are also shown. Two separate course headings can be stored into this gauge. Included is an icon gauge for installing KillDrift into separate window. It can also be installed on a panel. The gauge can be helpful for hovering/landing helicopters because of its 360-degree display capability. By Glenn Copeland
Filename: kildrft1.zip

File Description:
FS2004 TWiD gauge (Track,Wind,Drift) versions 1 (corporate) and 2 (commercial/military). Both have five analog displays that show heading, course, track, drift, wind direction, and wind speed information. By keeping the Track cursor aligned with the Course cursor while flying, the course-diviating effect of wind drift will be eliminated. Also helpful for hovering/landing helicopters because of the 360-degree track presentation. By Glenn Copeland
Filename: twidgau.zip

one more I found after check out all Glenn has on AVSIM

FS2004 Tri-speed gauges. Two analog instruments (TSG150 and TSG220) that display airspeed, ground speed, and taxi speed. The TSG150 gauge shows indicated airspeeds to 150 kts, ground speeds to 180 kts, and taxi speeds to 20 kts. The TSG220 gauge shows indicated airspeeds to 220 kts, groundspeeds to 280 kts, and taxi speeds to 20 kts. Both contain an adjustable speed bug. By Glenn Copeland
Filename: trispeed.zip

Answers 1 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I guess I'm a little to old fashioned to use those. For the GA aircraft I fly that would seem out of place.

What we used to do is primitive, but it worked. We would pick out an object on the ground and circle it. We would see which way the plane drifted off of the object and how fast. You could get a good idea of both wind direction and speed doing that.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...