Aircraft behavior, vertical speed

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Two questions, at this point:

Generally, while flying the 172SP in fair weather, I notice that, most of the time, I can't really trim the plane for perfectly stable flight--usually there's some pitch oscillation that I have to pay attention to. I'm not using an autopilot, AFAIK. Is this typical aircraft behavior?

AND,... In the flight analysis is it possible to see the vertical speed of the aircraft at touchdown? It seems to me this would be a good way of evaluating a landing.

HL

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Your first question:
If you "clear all weather" in your settings you should be able to trim the 172SP into a perfectly stable flight.

Second question:
Someone else will come along and tell you sooner or later 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Getting it perfect even in fair weather conditions can be difficult, but it should be close enough that it isn't a problem. Try adjusting your power just a little bit and you should be able to get it very close. I think the problem is that no matter what method you use to trim (stick buttons, mouse or keyboard) it just isn't perfect.

I usually have to make an occasional adjustment, but it isn't a problem for me.

I don't know the answer to your second question but here is one way you can check your speed at landing, just do a replay and watch your speed. During the replay you don't have anything else to do and that is a good way to critique your landings..

spuddi Guest

in real life you can trim the aircraft so that it is perfectly trimmed but you will not be able to take you hands off the yoke for long periods of time without pitch oscilations. in good weather you might get away with 20seconds but you will still need tiny adjustments with the yoke.
i guess they are trying to be realistic.

Don Wood Guest

Also, in real life, the center of gravity of the aircraft is constantly changing as fuel is burned. This requires frequent small adjustments in trim. I don't know if FS9 is purposefully doing that to represent reality but it is what happens flying the real C-172.

As the pre3vious poster said, if you neglect controlling the aircraft for any length of time, you will be able to practice your "recovery from unusual attitudes" techniques.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...