Outer Marker

Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

I've been spending alot of time lately flying approach procedures in FS9 and have become curious about the outer marker.

I know what a VORTAC looks like, I have seen the TOY one in Troy, IL. Not from close up enough to satisfy all of my curiousity, but, I have seen it.

So, now, I have been wondering, what is the physical location of the outer marker for runway 30L and 30R for KSTL my home airport. Also, what does this device look like? I know the VORTAC has a very distinctive look, and was wondering if the same is true of an outer marker.

Come to think of it, with all of the airports around KSTL with instrument procedures must have OM units all over the place!

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

While not really related to your question, there is a little information here on the outer marker:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locator_Outer_Marker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_Landing_System

Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

I actually had a chance to answer my own question here.

Thanks to Google Earth, and airnav.com and the chart for ILS 24 for KSTL, I typed in the coordinates for ZUMAY which is the outer marker for this runway.

This is actually located right smack in a residental area, and I have driven by this thing lots of times! Never knew what it was.

Jus thought I would share that here since I opened the can of worms!

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Thats good to hear, I should try that some time down here in NZ.

Pro Member Trainee
glen4cindy Trainee

Don't make the mistake I did at first.

What I was doing was looking up the chart, then, starting at the runway, and drawing a line out to the correct number of nautical miles, and then, clicking around until I got near the coordinates that were shown on the chart, and then, zooming in to see what I could see.

You can actually plug in the coordinates right at the "fly to" window. This will fly you to the exact spot. Sometimes, you can actually see the marker.

I used the line drawing method to find a tower that is shown on the KSTL runway information block, that was like 508' to the right and 1800' some odd feet back from the runway and I could see the tower there!

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Thanks for that tip. 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...