Flying with ATC

Jamie4590 Guest

I never use ATC when I'm flying but I now want to incorporate it for the obvious reasons. The trouble is I fly with the INS engaged and always make the last waypoint the outer marker. This means I can leave the INS autopilot switch engaged and the aircraft will intercept the track and fly to all the waypoints conducting its own turns in the most efficient manner and I really dont need to do anything. By making the outer marker a waypoint I can fly in all kinds of dire conditions knowing that the aircraft will turn on to the localizer heading on its own and I can come out of the thick soup with the runway right in front of me. 😎

By using ATC will they require me to disengage the INS and fly their headings or will they be aware that the INS is guiding me straight on to the runway localizer and deem a heading change unrequired?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

ATC will give you a heading as you near the LOC. By doing what you're doing, you're creating your own RNAV approach. Sure it will work but would be illegal in the real world(RW). Some approaches are designed with fixes that will lead you to the LOC. This is often the case when radar coverage or ATC service time is intermittent. Aircraft would be cleared for the approach many miles out and would be expected to fly the transition route to the LOC. Some are not. In the RW you could request what you're doing and it would be fine but FS ATC may not be so cooperating. FS ATC does not sense what nav source you're using.🙂

Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

From my expirience in FS, ATC will give you the vectors to final which won't match your planned route unless you know what they will say and plan it thus. they will only do this for IFR flights, and in FS are not to good at it. In VFR flights you contact the tower when you are in range and they just tell you the pattern entry and runway to use. Example: Fly left downwind for runway 25R.

Jamie4590 Guest

I guessed the way I rely on the INS so close to the airport was wrong. Do ATC recognise the aircrafts position relative to the airport and advise as such and if aircraft traffic is off can I assume I will never be required to fly a holding pattern?

My timed turns need some attention. Any golden rules?

Jamie4590 Guest

I guessed the way I rely on the INS so close to the airport was wrong. Do ATC recognise the aircrafts position relative to the airport and advise as such and if aircraft traffic is off can I assume I will never be required to fly a holding pattern?

My timed turns need some attention. Any golden rules?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

FS ATC will never give you a hold, VATSIM controllers may if traffic gets backed up. Normally the controller will advise you of your position in relation to the final approach fix(FAF) when they clear you for the approach. 🙂

Jamie4590 Guest

In the past I've got VOR LOC centered and the glide slope is coming down to center at which point I activate GLIDE but ATC instruct a heading that is plainly taking me away from the airport. I don't know why as I'm all set up for landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

That's a problem with FS ATC and why i don't use it. It's only a approximation of ATC. No other flight sim even has that so it's a big step ahead but it needs refining. I hope they fixed it in FSX but we will see. I saw this website that you may want to look at, I don't know anything about it. http://www.jdtllc.com/ It's a ATC add-on program. 🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total
Jamie4590 Guest

How is the ATC a big improvement in FS04 than 02?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

How is the ATC a big improvement in FS04 than 02?

I don't use it but I found this on FS2004 website.

"Enhanced interactive air traffic control (ATC), including traffic at all airports around the world (including non-towered airports), altitude changes en route, pop-up IFR clearances, and precision and non-precision approaches to multiple runways."

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...