yoke, throttle and peddles

flymez Guest

anyone use the yoke, throttle ad peddles on fs2004. is it worth getting?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

Very cool, but a little pricey. I have the yoke and pedals, and love them, but I just couldn't cough up another $120 for the throttles.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I have the CH USB Yoke, CH Throttle Quadrant and the CH pedals. I love them. I even have reverse thrust programed into the throttle Quadrant! They cost alot. I suggest them all but if money is short, get them in the order that I have listed them in.

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

are there any other brands that make yokes, pedals, throttles besides CH?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

I have the CH USB Yoke, CH Throttle Quadrant and the CH pedals. I love them. I even have reverse thrust programed into the throttle Quadrant! They cost alot. I suggest them all but if money is short, get them in the order that I have listed them in.

I just ordered the yoke and rudder pedals (got them at a bargain IMO, got the pair BRAND NEW for $199, including shipping!! ). Anyways, I didn't get the throttle because I thought it was a bit pricey, but am considering getting it in the future. Would you recommend it? (The multi-engine throttle that is?) Can you use it to fly all the heavies? Also how do you rig it so it can do reverse thrust that sounds really cool?!!

Thanks for any help... 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes, you can set the six levers to represent any control that you wish. For the Boeing 747, I have four thrust levers. I use the first lever for spoilers. I don't have anything assigned to the last lever. Each lever has a detent then full off. The full off position is a key press that you can assign to reverse thrust. It's not very easy but can be done. I use the two switches on the front of the yoke for flaps and gear. I still have six switches on the throttle that I can use for such things as cowl flaps etc...
I can also set it up to fly a piston or turboprop airplane using the interchangeable knobs. 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I recently switched over to the CH yoke and pedals. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to them (and I still have occasional lapses in the use of the pedals when I am on the ground), but I will never go back to a joystick.

The one unexpected benefit is that I am comfortable with all my realism settings all the way to maximum. I never had sufficient control before, to do that. For ease of flying the heavy iron, I will probably get the throttle quadrant this month. Then, hopefully, my buying spree will be at an end. 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jelami wrote:

Very cool, but a little pricey. I have the yoke and pedals, and love them, but I just couldn't cough up another $120 for the throttles.

Hey Jelami, judging by the utopian space-scooter that serves as your Avatar you appear to be a pretty capable handyman. Check this out:

File Description:
A fully illustrated and extensive description on HowTo make and install your own 4-Engine throttle quadrant for less than US $20 worth of material. Can be connected to a free gameport, or, via a Gameport-to-USB convertor, USB port. Includes Reverse Thrust on the throttles, with a blocking mechanisme; Reverse Thrust operation however requires FSUIPC. Can be used for any single/multi engine aircraft.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=rcbth-10.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

You'll have it finished by Christmas - send some pics 😀

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

That throttle quadrant looks a little complicated by the picture - but I might give it a go considering theres not alot to do at the moment. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Go for it Jarred you seem to be the right man for the job... just make sure you stay away from the bottle Idea

BTW the guy who wrote the tutorial is a veteran in innovation - type his name into the avsim search engine and you'll be amazed with the little tricks he's concocted over the years. A true enthusiast.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Oh dont you worry Tailhook, I'll stay away from that damn bottle.. well its worth a try I suppose. 😉

I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow and see if I'm the right man for the job. 😳

But then again it shouldn't be too hard now that I have Basil Brush (guy with the bling in my avatar) on my side.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

CRJCapt wrote:

Yes, you can set the six levers to represent any control that you wish. For the Boeing 747, I have four thrust levers. I use the first lever for spoilers. I don't have anything assigned to the last lever. Each lever has a detent then full off. The full off position is a key press that you can assign to reverse thrust. It's not very easy but can be done. I use the two switches on the front of the yoke for flaps and gear. I still have six switches on the throttle that I can use for such things as cowl flaps etc...
I can also set it up to fly a piston or turboprop airplane using the interchangeable knobs. 😎

Thanks for that CRJCapt. So if you get the multi-engine throttle, you can fly a 4-engine 747, a 3-engine 727 and a 2 engine 737 for example just by changing around how it's set up? I'm not quite sure what you mean about the thrust reversers. Can you go zero throttle without triggering them? Or once you go zero throttle is the key press for reverse thrust activated? (When you flare, wouldn't you have to go zero throttle, in which case you would reverse thrust too early).

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yes, you can fly all aircraft configurations. You have to change the setup for each one. You can go to zero throttle without triggering the thrust reversers. There are detents that give you the zero position. As you continue to pull the lever back, it goes to a final position (about 1/4 inch more). This final position is viewed by flight sim as a key press that you can assign. You can't assign each engine reverse thrust. I wish you could but flight sim is not setup for that. Under normal conditions, you want both engines to go to rev thrust at the same time so that's not a big problem. Assigning rev thrust activation of both engines when one thrust lever is put into rev thrust is the only way. It's still way cool. 😎

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Wow, that seems great. Thanks for the info. I think I'll definately be investing the throttle soon.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...