Safe Mode

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Is there a reason why we don't run FS in 'Safe Mode' all the time?

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Why should we if we dont have problems running it in normal mode?Although i have never check it in order to have opinion if FS runs better or not.
From the other side personally when i run FS i always have open Flyaway and check from time to time or downloading something from net or whatever...So i dont like to read Flyaway in myopes mode....

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I guess I don't understand the question. If you are talking about safe mode as when you are having computer problems I don't see the need for running FS2004 under it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I think I can see what you are getting at Ermm...
By running in safe mode ,only the essential bits of Windows will be running
and maybe,fs will run faster

Umm... Ive not tried it,but when in safe mode,does Windows load the latest GFX drivers or the "just enough drivers" to get a picture

There is a program that will shut all you tell it to down when fs starts called........ Embarassed Cant remember

Someone 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

FS Auto start? Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

tomthetank wrote:

Umm... Ive not tried it,but when in safe mode,does Windows load the latest GFX drivers or the "just enough drivers" to get a picture

I don't think it would load all the drivers needed for FS.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

no, safe mode doesn't load gfx drivers or sound drivers

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

We may be confusing Windows safe mode with FS safe mode. I had an app that created an icon the said FS Safe Mode, but from what I could see, the only difference was that it started
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe" -SWREND
and ran in a window, rather than full screen. I have no idea what it acutally accomplishes.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I think that this topic refers to Windows Safe Mode...Tailhook will clean the things up...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

SWREND is software rendering? rather than using the GPU perhaps?

speculation galore

where's tailhook 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks for participating everyone.

From the top:

..From the other side personally when i run FS i always have open Flyaway and check from time to time or downloading something from net or whatever...So i dont like to read Flyaway in myopes mode....

Greekman, in the situation you describe, I probably wouldn't use 'safe mode' either. What about a situation where you're not logged on and not running other programs?

If you are talking about safe mode as when you are having computer problems I don't see the need for running FS2004 under it.

Warhawk, most likely I'm misinterpreting your comment. Other programs have the 'safe mode' as well - are you suggesting that generally 'safe mode' should only be used when there are computer problems?

By running in safe mode ,only the essential bits of Windows will be running
and maybe,fs will run faster

T_T_T, I have absolutely no idea - was hoping to find out, though.

FS Auto start?

Greekman, I've got fsautostart. Whether there is or should be a connection between 'fs safe mode' and 'fsautostart' I really don't know.

I don't think it would load all the drivers needed for FS.

WarHawk, I'm beginning to wonder about this. But wouldn't this defy the purpose of having the 'safe mode' option in FS in the first place?

...no, safe mode doesn't load gfx drivers or sound drivers..

Insight, I don't understand this at all. I would have thought that without either gfx- or sound drivers I wouldn't be able to see or hear anything. I never have understood the whole driver issue though.

We may be confusing Windows safe mode with FS safe mode. I had an app that created an icon the said FS Safe Mode, but from what I could see, the only difference was that it started
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\fs9.exe" -SWREND
and ran in a window, rather than full screen. I have no idea what it acutally accomplishes.

CrashGordon, there may be a confusion between Windows- and FS safe mode. Every time I've installed FS2004, an option for 'safe mode' was created automatically in the start menu. The path : Start>All Programs>Microsoft Games>Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004>Troubleshooting>Safe Mode. I've never had a desktop icon created. I've also noticed that FS runs in a window - maybe this is all it accomplishes. I have no idea.

I think that this topic refers to Windows Safe Mode...Tailhook will clean the things up...

Greekman, this topic refers to FS Safe Mode. My apologies, I didn't formulate the question clearly.

SWREND is software rendering? rather than using the GPU perhaps?

Insight, I don't understand any of this. I'm a beginner.

Everybody, thanks. I've been looking for a way to rephrase my question, sorry, I haven't found a better way yet.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

I think the confusion here is we were talking about two different things. I was talking about Windows safe mode, I didn't know there was a safe mode for FS.

We all learn something new every day. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

The Safe Mode option
The Safe Mode option puts Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight in a Software Video Rendering mode that is independent of the video hardware and its drivers. You can use the Safe Mode option to diagnose the reason why the game stops responding or unexpectedly quits. The Safe Mode option can help you determine whether the issue that you are experiencing is specific to your hardware or to your drivers. Additionally, sometimes the Safe Mode option may be the only way that you can start and use Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight. If your issue disappears when you start the computer by using the Safe Mode option, you may have to update your video driver.

To start Flight Simulator 2004 - A Century of Flight by using the Safe Mode option, follow these steps:1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Games.
2. Point to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, point to Troubleshooting, and then click Safe Mode.

According to Microsoft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

heh my wild speculation was in the right direction it seems 😀

Tailhook, half of us were talking about Windows safe mode (ie not loading any gfx drivers) and half of us were talking about the in built safe mode in FS2004 that the other half didn't knoiw existed 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks gentlemen.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...