King Air-Boeing close-call

Pro Member First Officer
Jason Melancon (Mithheru) First Officer

I was preparing for a little trip from Sea-Tac to Whidbey Island today when my little plane nearly got flattened.

I'm not even finished with it's paint job and I think the ATC doesn't like it. They alerted me a couple seconds before we were to collide.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

I don't know about anyone else, but I find that the ATC on FS9 is very delayed.

For example, they wait for you to level out in your climb before they give you instructions to climb higher.

Is it like that in real life?

If it is then I would be surprised, cause I have never felt like a yo-yo during a climb to 30,000ft..... Fear

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

leachus2002 u are so right. I was taxiing w/FSpassengers @ LAX last night and i turned on a taxiway and there was a 737 comin my way and ATC didn't give a hold position to either of us until it was to late. 13 passengers were killed.. Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil LOL the ATC is kinda late.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i often have atc put me head on with another plane and tell us both to hold. of course i just back up and go around them on the grass in the end.

Pro Member First Officer

Ouch, 13 passengers killed?!

At least for me if I hadn't stopped it would only have been me and no one else. I doubt that the Boeing would have gotten much more than a damaged nose gear. I haven't had any other close calls like this one since then; mostly just waiting on the taxiway so I can take off and practicing landing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

surely though if you are taxiing along and you see an aircraft 14 times bigger than you on a potential collision course, self preservation kicks in and you hold regardless of a lack of instructions from ATC? 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Of course, I stopped before ATC could tell me to do so. I wasn't about to continue and see if they would say anything.

I suppose I could have revved up the engines and cut in front of the Boeing, but that doesn't happen in real life. Then again, if I did I likely would have gotten hit anyway being as how my taxiing skills aren't that great right now. Once I'm i n the air I can fly gracefully, but on the ground it's a whole different story.

As a side note: If you see trees at what you think is 2,000 feet you had better pull up and adjust your altimeter. I was coming in IFR to Portland at night and was on final when I saw trees surrounding me. Before I could react I slammed into the ground. So, the next time you're flying into Portland on runway 10L look for the big scorch marks and trench I dug a mile or so short of the runway. Hopefully there were no houses there.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...