Norton

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

I've decided I should uninstall Norton because it's taking up too much space.

Is there a freeware antivirus program with firewall and real-time scan?

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Chris102 wrote:

I've decided I should uninstall Norton because it's taking up too much space.

Is there a freeware antivirus program with firewall and real-time scan?

I haven't heard of a 'free' internet solution as such. But you can get the free bits and pieces from different publishers. "avast!" antivirus (free) is very popular at present. Get that first. Use your integrated MS firewall while your looking for a 3rd party one.

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

I haven't heard of a 'free' internet solution as such. But you can get the free bits and pieces from different publishers. "avast!" antivirus (free) is very popular at present. Get that first. Use your integrated MS firewall while your looking for a 3rd party one.

I use Avast and like it a lot. I don't know of any free firewalls.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Check this topic.It contains a lot of interesting infos about Antiviruses and Firewalls. ➡

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/9579/firewall-question/

My choices is Avast for Antivirus ( www.avast.com ) and Sygate ( http://www.simtel.com/product.download.mirrors.php?id=53687 ) as Firewall protection.

I upload for you the Sygate.Check it and feel free for any questions. ➡

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=39B2TJRD5JK4F2E9UHV6WDR1C6

Both programs are low power sources and working great. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I used to use Norton,but the thing was just so hungry with my memory it had to go.I then went with AVG,but it let a nasty in Evil or Very Mad So I now use Avast. A great free product 👍
As for firewalls,the free version of Zonealarm works well and you can test any firewall here ➡

http://probemyports.com/

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Thanks for your help everyone!
I will let you know how everything works out.

I'm going to try Avast and the firewall Greekman uploaded for me 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

the free version of Zonealarm works

Yeah works....slowly....underground....catastrophic.... Fear Fear Fear

Of course its only a personal experience comment and not a sarcastic one to you and to your great(far away from mine)knowledges dear TTT. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Avast just finished installing, and I'm very pleased with it!
My computer starts up and shuts down faster than with Norton, and programs seem to operate faster as well.

I'm using the Windows Firewall, so I'm all set! Thanks everyone for your help! 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Chris102 wrote:

Avast just finished installing, and I'm very pleased with it!
My computer starts up and shuts down faster than with Norton, and programs seem to operate faster as well.

I'm using the Windows Firewall, so I'm all set! Thanks everyone for your help! 🍻

Chris if you are going to use another Firewall you must disable the Windows Firewall.I notice to you just in case. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

ive just put norton back on, and it has protected me so much better than McAfee, i definitely prefer norton!!

Micah

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I use:
AOL Spyware Protection
Spyware Doctor
Xoftspy
Spyware Blaster
Win Patrol
Avast Antivirus
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Ewido security suite
Microsoft Antispyware
Spy Sweeper
AVG Free
Spybot Search and Destroy

Ok, that is a ridiculous amount, but the strange thing is, when ever I run each of them, they all find something different 🙄 , so I never delete them, they just run over night on their schedule, and have a life of their own. Just make sure you turn the sound off, if you sleep near the computer when its on; as a lot of them tend to talk to you when they find something... Ermm...

Fun flying 😉

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Avast sounds like a submarine doing a crash dive when it finds what it believes could be malicious email.ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

Avast sounds like a submarine doing a crash dive when it finds what it believes could be malicious email.ROFL

ROFL

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

OK, so I've seen too many WW2 submarine movies, but I think that is where they got the sound from. Yes

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

WarHawk42 wrote:

OK, so I've seen too many WW2 submarine movies, but I think that is where they got the sound from. Yes

Agree 😀 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...