Visual Landing Pattern Advice

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Rooky pilot needs advice. My biggest problem in flying is making the turn from downwind or base leg to final. I know that a real-world pilot would have the runway in sight throughout this maneuver, and would be able to correct early on for alignment. I can't see the runway until I'm so close I usually have to make a radical (dangerous) correction to get lined up. Have you more experienced sim pilots developed methods for sighting the runway during turn to final? Thanks in advance.
-- Dave

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
N1ghtStalk3r Trainee

use your gps if your lined up with the green area on the gps then you should make it fine

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

N1ghtStalk3r wrote:

use your gps if your lined up with the green area on the gps then you should make it fine

Thanks, N1ghtStalk3r, I wouldn't have thought of that. Unfortunately, I'm flying training missions for a VA, using their training aircraft, that has no GPS. 😞
-- Dave

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Perhaps too obvious, but aren't you checking your side and quartering views as you make your turn?

Pro Member First Officer
Arkydave First Officer

Brook wrote:

Perhaps too obvious, but aren't you checking your side and quartering views as you make your turn?

Thanks, Brook. Yes, I check them, but with wing down in the turn, can't see the rwy. I've tried going to spot view, which you can slew around, but it takes me off the instruments too long, and I need them to remind me that I'm a novice 😂 Embarassed .

Pro Member Trainee
ronaldpatton Trainee

If your aircraft has an RMI and there is a VOR or NDB on the field (or if you only have an ADF and there is a NDB on the field), tune in the VOR/NDB and when the needle is pointing within about 10 degrees of being lined up with the runway (about 080 or 280 relative to you), start your turn. You should roll out lined up with the runway. You will have to correct for wind and your aircraft speed (add or subtract depending on the wind direction and how fast you are going). It works well for me.

Ron

Pro Member Trainee
Brook Trainee

Then all I can suggest is practice.

Fly your pattern and experiment with timing and the degree of your base/final turn. One thing I learned was that if I'm flying a squared-off pattern I need to be more aggressive making my turns--steeper and quicker.

If I'm flying a smooth arc from downwind to final, I've learned that I can afford to put the plane in a shallow bank and she'll pretty much "fly herself" onto my final heading. If I'm within 80 deg. of that heading-- and still can't see the runway off my quarter --then I know I need to bank her over a bit more.

None of this is revelatory; just a reminder to practice and VISUALIZE the problem your going to face and have the solution planned ahead of time.

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Hey guys, Just press W once so you have an unobstructed view. Then look left or halfway left, then press W twice to get your cockpit back.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...