New RAM

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hey,

Well I finally got an extra gig of RAM, but didn't notice too much difference. I know it is probably because my graphics card is fairly bad (GeForce 5200) but in general, the speed of the computer processes hasn't changed dramatically. I have 4 slots, 2 filled with 256mb PC2700, and 1 filled with 1024mb PC2700. All of the RAM is the same speed etc. I used to just have the 512mb which is now 1.5gb, but with minimal difference Dont Know

Am I missing something ❓

Cheers 😉

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

How many GHz does your computer have?

Pro Member Chief Captain

2.66 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

Hey,

Well I finally got an extra gig of RAM, but didn't notice too much difference. I know it is probably because my graphics card is fairly bad (GeForce 5200) but in general, the speed of the computer processes hasn't changed dramatically. I have 4 slots, 2 filled with 256mb PC2700, and 1 filled with 1024mb PC2700. All of the RAM is the same speed etc. I used to just have the 512mb which is now 1.5gb, but with minimal difference Dont Know

Am I missing something ❓

Cheers 😉

You mean the speed of your computer or the speed of FS Jon?

In general speed isnt only a matter of RAM but its a compination of RAM,CPU,MOTHERBOARD and for the games VGAs(and of course a good Power Supply).
It will be helpful if you tell us what kind of CPU are you using.

Also i would like to suggest that the best is to use RAM sticks from the same brand.(Kingston for me Punk )

Pro Member Chief Captain

Sorry Greekman, I know next to nothing about computers Embarassed

I was talking about the general speed of the computer. I had figured that the new RAM would speed up FS a bit, only to a certain extent because of my graphics card (thats next to be changed). My settings are fairly high in FS and I'm getting 25+ FPS, so I am happy with FS for the moment. I was just wondering whether my general speed would improve much Dont Know Thanks for your help Greekman 😀

Processor
2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

Motherboard
Board: Dell Computer Corp. 02Y832

RAM (the new RAM came from www.crucial.com if that means anything)
1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 0' has 256 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 0' has 256 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 1' is Empty

Hard drive
119.95 GB 68.90 GB free

Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 [Display adapter]

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Sorry???For what Jon... 😉 🍻

Well your system speed should have some inproval...Check it when you multitasking(open some windows and try to copy paste items on them or make a back from your favorite folder to another one in order to check it,or try to convert a video file to another video format...you will notice some difference(not big but enought to be noticed.)

High settings in FS sometimes maybe make FS run slower...Try to lower them a litle and you will notice smoother running in taxiiways or in cloudy weather(its well known that clouds high settings slows the performance of FS)

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Sorry???For what Jon... 😉 🍻

Well your system speed should have some inproval...Check it when you multitasking(open some windows and try to copy paste items on them or make a back from your favorite folder to another one in order to check it,or try to convert a video file to another video format...you will notice some difference(not big but enought to be noticed.)

High settings in FS sometimes maybe make FS run slower...Try to lower them a litle and you will notice smoother running in taxiiways or in cloudy weather(its well known that clouds high settings slows the performance of FS)

😉

Ok, thank you Greekman 🍻 I will lower the cloud settings in FS next time I'm flying 😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Hi Guys,
I am having the same problem as Jolegg here.

Before I had 768mb of PC3200 DDR400 SDRAM, and yesterday I got a stick of DDR400 1GB RAM- are they both the same speeds?

Also, I have noticed a slight FPS improvement- thats what additional RAM does right, smooths out the lagg?

My system is as follows:

CPU Type:
Intel Celeron, 2400 MHz

Motherboard Name:
Asus P4V533-MX (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

Video Adapter/3D Accelerator: (Graphics Card I think)
nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 (256 MB)

System Memory:
1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

If anyone could tell me what will be noticably faster, please explain it to me.

Also, is it worth selling my 512mb RAM stick and just running at 1GB RAM with a system like mine?

One more thing- should my new about of RAM stop photoreal blurries and decrease loading times?

Thanks,
Andrew

Pro Member Chief Captain

I'm no expert on this, but I think that additional RAM increases the amount of processes the computer can handle without lagging and increases the performance (speed) of the computer (offline) at completing various tasks. In your case, I think it should improve your FPS and the general running of FS9, but I doubt it would improve your textures and the speed it renders them(thats down to the graphics card). I could be wrong in that though.

😉

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Ah ok- sweet 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...