Help with RAM

Hello everybody

I would like to hear if anyone knows what the RAM does to FSX.

Is there any difference between 1 gb and 2 gb RAM at all?

Hope you can help me!

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Taylor Crockett (taylorc) Trainee

If You have a greater RAM then FSX May Load Faster And scenery may be able to be put at a highrr level
but your grafics will only change a little as the grafics really depend on a good video Card.
if you really want to make FSX better Dont waste money ungrading to 2gb RAM and spend your money on a new video card
can any1 recommend a good video card for this guy

Actually I'm about to buy a computer with the specs:

1 gb of RAM , 512 MB Geforce 7950GT and Intel Core 2 Duo 1,86 GHz.

Anything you could recomend?

Though I'm still doubting on Windows Vista.

I've heard lots of bad things of Vista. Will FSX get better with Vista?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Vista will support DirectX 10, XP won't.
If you get Vista I would recommend a minimum of 2 gigs ram, more if you can.
I have 4 gigs, which is much more than enough.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Taylor Crockett (taylorc) Trainee

Your Specs are good But i agree with radar just like all software vista isnt very good right now i would wait until it inmproves witch usally happens when the service packs Come in. if you can upgrade to 2gb when you but it and you should have a pretty gd system

So the thing that RAM does is actually to increase the graphics performance?

Bugs Bunny Guest

Anonymous wrote:

this link will help you understand ram better

(dead link removed)

when adding ram to your system make sure you're getting the same kind of ram.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Not in a conventional sense.

RAM (Random Access Memory) is like your desktop in your office. When you arrive for the days work, it is empty (it should be anyway).
You begin pulling files out of filing cabinets and place them on the desk for convenience. Your secretary pops in every now and then and dumps more files and Manila folders on your desk. .. soon there is no space left on your desk (this means your RAM is all taken up for the moment until you free up some RAM) - or back at the desk, you'll have to make room before your secretary can dump even more useless papers on your desk.

Now if the desk in your office was the size of a football field, you wouldn't have to worry. Enough space (RAM) to last you all day. No panic, no sweat, everything runs smoothly all day.

This is simplified, of course. But you get your head around this principle and and you pretty much grasp what RAM is all about.
Where I use the word 'space' above, this is NOT to be confused with 'space on the hard drive'.

RAM however basically affects the overall performance of your computer because no matter what you're doing, RAM is almost always involved. I'm not good with techtalk language but...: RAM is much more important than most folks are aware of. Forget about FSX for the moment and picture this scenario:
You've got a rig with two 8800GT cards in SLI configuration and a CPU that pulls the socks out of your boots. All the power in the world but you only have 256MB of RAM. Obviously, despite all that power you'll be struggling just to run your Windows Vista because you're lacking RAM.

Just as you can tell that the OS struggles due to lack of RAM, so will you be able to tell when you run another resource hungry application such as FSX.

Okay , thank you very much Tailhook.

But I am wondering, is there any difference between Vista home basic and Vista premium for example?

Does the FSX performance become better with Premium?

the good, the bad, and the ugly...

http://www.cnet.com/4520-33_1-6687520-1.html?tag=ltst

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If anything it will become worse because the higher up you go in your Vista Hirarchy, the more RAM you will need. Your OS is an application in its own right -- it needs RAM. Windows is one of the most resource hungry apps. you can run (unfortunately 'must run') in order to run FS.

Windows is HUUUGE, the smallest Vista version - Home Basic - needs the least resources. The flagship Ultimate needs the most.

That sounds good in my ears (I think), beacuase if I have 1 or 2 gb of RAM, and Vista Home basic, the FSX would be pretty good.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

That sounds good in my ears (I think), beacuase if I have 1 or 2 gb of RAM, and Vista Home basic, the FSX would be pretty good.

Using only 1Gig of RAM is pushing your luck. You'll get frustrated - trust me. Spend the money and get the extra Gig straight away. The premise is that you can never have too much RAM.
I've got two Gigs ATM running XP and fs9. When I get my new rig, I'll start with more than 2 Gigs as at present I'm struggling to run FSX at all. Of course some of that is caused by my current CPU and GFX card.

Thank you very much Tailhook.

I will get my new computer with 2 gb of RAM very soon 😀

And of course with Windows Vista Home basic or premium (don't know yet)

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Having extra RAM is like having extra gas in your car, its best to have more than you actually need. Vista has been known to be very RAM hungry, both in Video and Main memory. I have not jumped to Vista yet since I did not feel that my system was ready for it. I could have run vista just fine with things they way they were, however I just picked up 2x1gig kit of Patriot DDR2-PC6400 (800mhz) for $149 at FRY's Electronics. I plan on getting another kit next week to make it 4gigs. Thats a huge jump from the 4x512mb PC-4200 (533mhz). My board will not support more than 4 at the moment, so until i upgrade my Asus P5NSLI to a Gigabyte-DS3, will be capped at 4gigs. I may even go with the new EVGA 680i Nvidia Board and really see where we go from there!

Bottomline, you can never have too much memory.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...