Calibrate Joystick Every Time?

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Before creating a flight it is necessary for me to calibrate my Saitek Force Feedback games controller, every time!

If I forget the throttle setting is probably full open and the twist rudder indicates full starboard rudder - not surprisingly the plane veers off to the right at a rate of knots and usually finds something to run into! So I try not to forget.

Are other people experiencing the same thing as it really is a pain to have to remember to re-cablibrate each time the sim is switched on - it isn't a problem as the alternative route via Control Panel works equally well but I feel it shouldn't happen like this.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I've only calibrated my joystick once, which was when I first bought it. You shouldn't have to calibrate it every time you fly, but I don't really know what to suggest Dont Know Help will be along shortly 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you click on properties in the Game Controllers, you should arrive at the test page (for calibration purposes). After calibrating, don't forget to click on the 'Apply' button.
Just a thought, good luck!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Did you calibreate it form FS menu?

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I either calibrate via the "Settings" route in FS (the last one on the page that contains "Create ....... Select ......." etc or alternatively via the Control Panel Game controllers method. Either does the same thing but I will certainly check that I am using "Apply" properly.

Thanks for the responses.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Just had a look at the Control Panel calibration and I don't have an "apply" button which seems strange if we are running the same system - ie Windows XP Home Edition.

Pro Member First Officer
HardLanding First Officer

Aldeeb, are you letting the joystick remain plugged into the PC while unplugging its power ("mains" in the UK, I think) cord at all? I ask this because I have a Logitech Force Feedback joystick and I was unplugging the little transformer between uses and it caused the stick performance to go all out of whack. That said, all joysticks need recalibration once in a while, although what you're experiencing sounds excessive.

Saitek's been no help?

HL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aldeeb wrote:

Just had a look at the Control Panel calibration and I don't have an "apply" button which seems strange if we are running the same system - ie Windows XP Home Edition.

Maybe I wasn't precise enough. Try these steps :

Control Panel / Game Controllers / (in the box that just popped up you should see your flightstick present, if it isn't, click on Add and make your selection.)
Still in the 'Game Controllers' box click on 'Properties'. The box that just popped up now has two Tabs : 'Settings' and 'Test' .

Both Tabs/Pages are straight forward and you'll find the Apply button on each one in the right hand bottom corner.

Try again Aldeeb, we are running the same OS and I wager that you'll find the 'Apply' button. 🤔 Here's to hoping that this will actually solve your problem. Hack

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...