Tips on making a smooth landing

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Hey Peeps,

I know this has been asked alot, but I am having problems landing my Airbus A319 below about 350-400ft/per min.

I am landing with full flaps with about 60% of aircraft weight. I am also landing at about 130knots but I am bang on the ILS.

Can anyone give me any pointers please?

Thanks
Leachus

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Make sure you flare with the power cut and full flaps at around 10-15 feet above the runway. Your FPM should increase to around 150 fpm for landing. When I land, I don't immediately touchdown where the glideslope stops on the runway because it normally means I have a hard landing. I normally pull up a bit to reduce the angle I hit the runway. This doesn't mean I glide the length of the runway, it just means I don't hit the runway hard 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

jolegg just about sums it up 👍

The only bit I will add is,As you cross the threshold of the runway,cut power and start to flare.
It all depends on your landing weight as to what speed you land

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

May I add another comment? Airbus recommends to flare their aircrafts at the "Retard" call. That is 20 feet above the runway.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Agus0404 wrote:

May I add another comment? Airbus recommends to flare their aircrafts at the "Retard" call. That is 20 feet above the runway.

😉

Just make sure your Airbus addon has that callout, or you could be in for a hard landing Fear

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's why I said that the "Retard" call is given 20 feet above the runway.

Only my A340/A330 Pro addon has those callouts. But I did download other Airbus callouts which include the "Retard" callout but it doesn't work 😕 Still, I always flare my Airbuses at 20 feet above the runway.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Always nice when the plane calls you a retard 😛 It's true too, the callout is not "re-TARD", it's "RE-tard" heh.

hinchypoop Guest

hey agus, i found a number of freeware gauges that give warnings of how high you are '50,40,30 etc'. i try to use them...just realised i didn't add it to the an148 panel though oops.

so yeah, when i get home later i could send you a link to one if you're interested?

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have some altitude callouts addons, but I'd like to check that link out.

Always nice when the plane calls you a retard It's true too, the callout is not "re-TARD", it's "RE-tard" heh.

There was a big discussion about this in another forum. The callout is "RE-tard" and not "re-TARD" as you said. Thus, the aircraft is not calling you a retard.
In the dictionary, there are other meanings for the word "retard"

Guest1 Guest

hinchypoop wrote:

hey agus, i found a number of freeware gauges that give warnings of how high you are '50,40,30 etc'. i try to use them...just realised i didn't add it to the an148 panel though oops.

so yeah, when i get home later i could send you a link to one if you're interested?

I would be interested in the link, if you could be so kind as to give it 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Guest1 wrote:

hinchypoop wrote:

I would be interested in the link, if you could be so kind as to give it 🙂

See if these are suitable ➡ http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=altitude_callout.zip&Author=&CatID=root

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=altitude_callout.zip&Author=&CatID=root

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...