keeping your computer cool

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

recently i've been having problems with my pic overheating and turning itself off,particularly when cpu usage is at its highest (coming in to land). which is rather bothersome...

does anyone have any tips? i've cleaned my pc out so it's all dust free and it's still driving me nuts. bigger fan? another fan? new fan?

i'm also looking for a piece of software - i've seen it but now i want it i cannot find it. it shuts down all the useless programs before starting up fs - that might help, but also could mean i can put my 3d clouds back on as i have all the other sliders at top :p

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

The programm you are searching for ➡

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

Try it check the results and come back to discuss about the others.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Just get a case fan and put it on the rear grid of your computer (blow heat out). It's inexpensive and very easy to do.
If you can put one in the front of your case that would be fantastic, it would bring in the cool air but it would also bring in dust so you would have to either clean the computer more often or get a filter for it (the fan).
Most stores carry them or you can buy them on line.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

cheers guys,

ken slater's program definately makes fs load faster - thanks for the link. it didn't help my heat however, so i'm guessing a fan has packed in there's 3 on my computer - one for the power input area, one to the provessor (the biggest one) and one that pushes the air out of the front. needs more outbound air maybe? for now i'm running my pc on a lower voltage and that's helped by 5 degrees c. ish

i don;t really know about putting pc's together, only some basic stuff - i just don't want to be ripped off by a computer shop selling me what i don't need! the most expensive fan i can pretty much find on ebay is £10, and i've just read a new fan is usually about £5 - so it's not expensive and i'll know they're ripping me off if they say more than that!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

recently i've been having problems with my pic overheating and turning itself off,particularly when cpu usage is at its highest

How can you be sure that the 'turning itself of' is caused by overheating? Are you monitoring the temperature?
Should that be the case - I have no more questions.

On the other hand... I'm becoming more and more convinced that something much more obscure can cause your system to shut down.

I'm having a similar problem and it is definitely not caused by overheating.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Are both or either of you talking about the sim closing down or Windows rebooting. We would have two different problems and many solutions.
Is there a message displayed with any of these "incidents".

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Are both or either of you talking about the sim closing down or Windows rebooting. We would have two different problems and many solutions.

Radar

I like your choice of words RM 😀

I was concerned with hinch's comment that his PC is turning itself off. Needless to say, this will close down the sim.

Then there is the other scenario where the sim closes down, but the PC doesn't need to reboot - only the sim has to be re-started.

Reading hinch's post I concluded that after his computer is turning itself off, it wouldn't automatically reboot - though I might have jumped to a conclusion here.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

assuming its not attempting a reboot and it shuts its self off for the duration can I suggest the follwoing.

Take the sides off your case, start up the PC and watch all the fans

are they all actually moving?

Check your PSU fan too, mine gave up once and caused the PC to shut down.

If the CPU was overheating most modern motherboards give out warning beeps and so on.

Check the heatsink over the CPU, can you see down the gaps between the blades? this is a loitering ground for piles and piles of crap

If the machine IS rebooting itself

Right click My COmputer > Properties > Advanced Tab > Startup And Recovery frame > Settings

UNtick the box in the "system failure" frame called "Automatically Restart". This stops the PC rebooting whe it fails and gives you a BSOD instead.

If all your fans appear to be working yet you are still overheating, download something like SiSoft Sandra to monitor your hardware and fan speeds.. see if they are all turning at good rates.

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

hay hinch,,Captain. my computer started to shut down on landing last night... was so mad!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
not happy at all,
but thanks to all for the info, 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

I will stay to this correct notice.Shut down maybe cause from a lot of reasons.If we want to talk more specificly we must have always the specs of the systems and the messages they gave us(if they gave something).

Most of times the problems are causing by us.They are machines..try to parralelism them with an overloaded car.If we put more load than this it can carry on it warmed and damaged.

A system that since now was working properly and suddenly something happens,in most of times,causing by something we have install or from something we have change.

There is always the alternative method of System Restore.
Restore your system some days back and check what will happens.
If it workd well ,spot what you have recently installed and get rid of it.

Clean and simple systems with only the needed programms and not stuppid utilities has less posibilities to crash than an overloaded one.

And finally we must know what we have in our hands and dont ask from it things that cant manage.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

yes it's definately overheating. i havw software to moniter it, 105 and *click* off it goes. when doing anything strenuous it's been staying in the 90's, right now only 68 - because firefox uses almost no memory.

norton was doing it's weekly check - very intensive - and after an hour it shut down and i had to do it again.

i bloody hate norton!

oh well,i've booked my pc in to my local shop who are going to do some tests, find the exact problem and have it fixed.

frommy little piece of software though only one piece is overheating. from having a touch around it's definately the power supply area. you could make a cup of tea on it, seriously.

my pc is about 14 months old,so just out of warranty - but it's still a pretty awesome spec. 3.2 pentium 4, 256 nvidia geforce 5500 (actually that's a bit crap), 1gig dual ddr2 ram...anyway yeah, it's good - but i have been told when a pc is used constantly (i'm a web designer) then the fans often do go after a year-ish because stock pc's use cheap ones.

problem solved i hope, but not for a week. no flightsimming arrggh!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Be patient my friend.I know and we all know how you feel.
Just in case ask them the Watts of your Power Supply and if its needed i could suggest a minimum 450W or bigger. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

The sounds like your Heatsink & Fan is not cooling your Chip. My PC down the same about 10 months.

Your BIOS check's the temp of your chip and when it gets to high it shuts it self down to protect it self.

You may need to get yourself a new heatsink & Fan.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...