Autopilot Landing Line-up

Doyley2 Guest

Hi all,

I think I must be thick, I cant get the AP to line up with the runway properly. Im using the Proc Window I think its called to obtain landing clearence but im not sure how to get aligned up with the runway. I always end up just flying over it at an angle.
Ive read the tutorial that is pinned but it doesnt seem to be helping me.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ive read the tutorial that is pinned but it doesnt seem to be helping me.

If this is the tutorial you've read ➡ https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/8080/ils-approach-guide-tutorial/ ---- read it again slowly one by one. Take notes or print out the tutorial and just keep pausing the game when you need to consult your notes.

The tutorials are very good and contain everything you need to know to land properly. Read Yes

Doyley Guest

Many thanks for you reply...

Im still having a bit of trouble. I can see the path im supposed to take on the GPS window. Does autopilot update the settings automatically? If so, which items do I need on?
If not, which bearing am I supposed to follow? CTS, BRG? Im getting myself confused lol.

Thanks again

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Give us more details of what you are doing.

The Autopilot(AP) can only laterally follow a Localizer(LOC) and vertically follow the Glide slope(GS). The two together make up the Instrument Landing System (ILS). Only some runways have an ILS. Some only have a LOC. Most don't have either. GPS will give lateral guidance only. To get lined up properly, you need to intercept the LOC or GPS about 10 nautical miles(nm) away from the airport. You can intercept the GPS course at a farther distance.

If all you want is to use the GPS to align yourself for landing in good weather, see my previous post below.

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11522/gps-procedures-and-visual-approaches/#70490

Let us know your setup and exactly what your doing. 🙂

Doyley Guest

Hi!

Here is exactly what im doing..

I plan a flight from Liverpool, UK to the Isle of Man. Its a pretty short flight and one im a passanger on pretty often. On the game im using the learjet.
I open the GPS window, and enter the number under BRG into the autopilot heading, take off and let autopilot fly the heading. When I get about 30nm from the isle of man I contact the IOM airport.... then I get lost with what I have to do..

Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I am assuming that you stored you flight plan or you wouldn't have a bearing number to enter into the HDG of the autopilot(AP). After takeoff, use your Select Heading(HDG) and turn set it to a direction that will cause the aircraft to intercept the course to your destination. Once on that heading, select NAV. The AP will intercept the course and turn toward your destination. It won't do that on heading alone. Once near your destination, you can just land visually or intercept one of the approaches to the runway. ILS, VOR, NDB, GPS for example.

This will get you to your destination. For instructions on how to line up with the runway, in good weather, using the GPS, see my previous post below. 🙂

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/11522/gps-procedures-and-visual-approaches/#70490

Doyley Guest

Thanks again for your reply.

I managed to do it with I think it was IFR where I was told what headings to take... That wasnt perfect but it got me close and I was able to do the rest manually.
I will be sure to read through your other post!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...