Flight planns / SIDs, STARS, IAPs

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Just downloaded the PMDG 737 NG and don't have the first clue how to set up flight plans. I have read the manual but i'm still a bit lost.

Is there a way of making this process a bit simpler?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

I apologise in advance, but do you know what SIDs, STARS, Intersections and Airways are? Do you know how to use them to build a flight plan? If not, it would be good to read up before you use an FMC. If you use them "fluently", then try doing a PMDG tutorial flight and learn as you go.

Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Thanks for your reply bindolaf.. i do know what SIDs, STARSs Etc. are but the only flight plans i have built have been using the default FS9 program (not sure if that counts!)

It's how to set up flight plans in the FMC that i'm trying to get the hang of as i'm getting bored of flying the stock a/c.

And no need to apologise....... we should never assume ! 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

The default FS9 flight planeer is rubbish. To build flights and to import them into the PMDG 737NG there are two ways of doing this.
The first is to use FSNavigtor. This is payware but it gives you 20 free goes.

Or you can use FSbuild 2.2 http://www.fsbuild.com which is totaly payware (I use this and have had no problems).

What you do is build your flight plan with either programe and then export them into FS9 and the PMDG737NG FMC.

What I do is the following, this probably not the right way of doing but it works for me.

I build my flight with FSBuild. For this example I'll use a short flight from EGKK to EGCC. Export it into FS9. I then start up FS9 and choose the PMDG737.
I change my default airport for example I'll use EGKK. I then open flight pplanner (in the sim) and press load. I then choose my flight EGKK-EGCC and press OK. It then ask's me if I want to move the plane I say no (as FSBuild puts you in the runway and I want to start from the gate). Then I click Fly.

Once everything has loaded I bring up the FMC and the Kneeboard and put them side by side. I put in the departing airport and choose the correct SID (which ever one I picked from FSBuild) then I input the waypoints which I copy from the Kneeboard.

This works for me and I'm very happy with it, it might not work for you. you can only try 😉
For a good guide on how to programe the FMC have a look at this site www.fsstation.com There is a good FMC guide for the PMDG737NG.

Last edited by liam (Liono) on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Cheers Liono, I'll give that a try

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain
Pro Member First Officer
kianok First Officer

Thx, that's a great help........ 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...