I have just purchased a new pc:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ Venice Core
1024mb PC3200 RAM
256mb PCI-E Powercolor ATi Radeon X800GTO
120gb Harddrive
40gb Harddrive
DVD-RW
Windows XP Professional 32-bit

When I attempt to click on FS it loads up and it quits instantly with a black screen and then back to desktop.

It is the second time I have tried to install it after the same problem before on first installation.

Please Help,
Mike

Answers 31 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

have you tried different drivers for your graphics card? that could be a problem?

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

Mikee747,

Along with th graphics drivers consider the soundcard. You may have the card set all the way to the top when all you need is the standard setup. Did you run DXIAG (directX) to check to see if there are any conflicts. To get there go to "RUN" in the start menue lower left and just type in DXDIAG caps are not needed. Let us know. Your spects seem to be more than enough to make FS9 work just fine. I wanted to add since space isn't an issue with your machine, you may want to consider partitioning your larger drive or use the smaller one for FS. I have my 250 gb hdd with nothing but games, i.e., FS9 and have had no problems.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

1.Go to Windows update and check for any updates.

2.Check to see that you have the latest version of Direct X:
[C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe] or as Ed said, dxdiag in the RUN box. Should be version 9.0c

3.Check for the latest video card drivers from the manufacture of your card.

Disable any anti-virus programs. Install MSFS 2004 and reinstall fresh. Use a regular CD-ROM or DVD-ROM instead of a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive, if you have the option. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Use a regular CD-ROM or DVD-ROM instead of a CD-RW or DVD-RW drive, if you have the option. 🙂

I have found I get more errors if I load software from a CD/DVD writer. I have a normal CD-ROM drive installed just for that reason. I just installed a new DVD drive and tried to install from it, it gave me errors. Loading from the normal CD-ROM drive gave me error free results.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

All good points.

Check for a folder in "My Documents" if it's not there with the default flight it wont launch.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Warhawk: We are saying the same thing. I was saying to use a regular drive instead of a rewritable drive. I guess my choice of words was confusing. 🙂 Embarassed

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Warhawk: We are saying the same thing. I was saying to use a regular drive instead of a rewritable drive. I guess my choice of words was confusing. 🙂 Embarassed

No, I understood what you were saying, I was just agreeing with you. I have had the same experience you have with writable drives and installing software. For what ever reason they seem to be more error prone. 🙂

mikee747 Guest

I have the latest Catalyst running with ATi Tools.

Inside the My Documents folder what is supposed to be in there?

I have "Flight Simulator Files" with nothing in it.

It launches up until the black screen where you create a flight pops up and then it stops with no error messages and sends me back to desktop.

I have no DVD drive; just a DVD-RW.

Thanks,
Mike

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mikee747 wrote:

I have been asking myself the same question... does anybody know? Umm... Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

In this folders we can find all the saved Flight Planers.

You can browse and upload one of the contained files from this link ➡

...and you have your Flight Plan showing in google earth. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

In this folders we can find all the saved Flight Planers.

You can browse and upload one of the contained files from this link ➡

...and you have your Flight Plan showing in google earth. 😉

I know what is inside the folder now. Surely, the contents of this folder will differ from user to user.
mikee747's question as I understand it was '...immediately after installation... ...prior to having run fs9 - is the folder supposed to be empty or not?

If I interpret mikee747 's question correctly, then only someone who has just installed fs9 or someone who happens to remember will be able to answer.

I think this is a pertinent question because if the folder is empty at the beginning, then its presence doesn't make any sense -- maybe is not even necessary until we have saved our first flight in one way or another.
As we all know, programs/applications create folders automatically.

I am always willing to learn, at the same time I would really like to know Read

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I think that the [flight Simulator Files] folder is empty after new installation. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

I think that the [flight Simulator Files] folder is empty after new installation. 🙂

Confirmed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

So now the question arises... if the folder is empty after a new installation and it is deleted straight away prior to the first use of fs9 -- would the functionality of sim be impeded in any way?

If the answer is no, we can direct our troubleshooting efforts into a different direction.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I believe that it's necessary for the functionality of the program. Not only are saved flights(including weather) and flight plans stored in that folder but previous flight and UI Generated flights. Entries that the program saves automatically and requires a storage folder. It's possible that if you delete the folder, Flight Simulator will recreate it when it goes to store the previous and UI Generated flights.🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

While never looking into that folder after installed I naturally figured that the default flight is in it at install.
If not where is the default flight stored.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

While never looking into that folder after installed I naturally figured that the default flight is in it at install.

Radar

The default flights ,if this was your question dear RadarMan Embarassed , are located in the fs9 directory into the Fligths folder.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

The default flights ,if this was your question dear RadarMan Embarassed , are located in the fs9 directory into the Fligths folder.

No, when you first start up and get to the menu you can click on "Fly Now" and the Cessna will be waiting for you.
If that's not in the folder in "My Documents" then where is it.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

No, when you first start up and get to the menu you can click on "Fly Now" and the Cessna will be waiting for you.

Radar

I think here ➡

FS9/Flights/other file name FLTSIM(double click on it and it will load the flight)

Is this?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Greekman72 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Radar

Radar

I think here ➡

FS9/Flights/other file name FLTSIM(double click on it and it will load the flight)

Is this?

Yes I do think you have found it, thanks. Now we're back to the "empty?" folder mystery.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

i think that this folder is using from FS as the storage place of our saved flights.
I think that if we delete this folder we have two options.
The first is FS to recreate this folder (as already have been told)or the second to,cant save or load our (saved)flights.
We need someone to do a fresh install and inform us... 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

We need someone to do a fresh install and inform us... 😉

Precisely my point, see above.

...then only someone who has just installed fs9 or someone who happens to remember will be able to answer.

Hack Help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im happy that we agree 😉

Guest Guest

All that and you still haven't answered the question.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Mikee747 wrote:

Hi.

I have just purchased a new pc:

AMD Athlon 64-bit 3000+ Venice Core
1024mb PC3200 RAM
256mb PCI-E Powercolor ATi Radeon X800GTO
120gb Harddrive
40gb Harddrive
DVD-RW
Windows XP Professional 32-bit

When I attempt to click on FS it loads up and it quits instantly with a black screen and then back to desktop.

It is the second time I have tried to install it after the same problem before on first installation.

Please Help,
Mike

If you are the original poster, see above, then a little more input from your side may be of help.

The way you describe your first and second installations is very vague. You haven't told us whether you installed the 9.1 patch as well. You haven't told us whether you uninstalled the patch as directed by MS, whether or not you deleted the Backup Folder, whether you had payware add-ons with outdated versions of FSUIPC installed etc.

Read this document and make sure you haven't overlooked something.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/

Many of us have similar problems. I would uninstall according to instructions. Then I would do a clean-install of fs9 without the patch and without any add-ons.
Then I would try to run fs9 in Safe Mode. If this works, I would try and run fs9 in 'normal' mode.

In your initial post you said this:

"...click on FS" -- what does it mean? Are you clicking on the desktop shortcut or on the menu item? I don't know if this is relevant... but everything is worth trying.

I wish you luck Read Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Guest wrote:

All that and you still haven't answered the question.

If you are the first poster i would like to tell that you get a load of right suggestions my friend.
You didnt replay about what you have try and what you dont. Dont Know

It will be better for you and for us if you help more for your problem.We can write for months but without your respond its useless.
I think this is clear. 😉

BCradio Guest

Start - Run - type in "%appdata%\Microsoft\FS9" without quotations.
Double click on "FS9.cfg"
Opens with notepad
Go to SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN = 1
Change the 1 to a 0.

That will most likely do it.

Don't forget to save the file.

mikee747 Guest

I was not that guest poster. Mad

Anyway, thanks for all your input guys 🙂

On another message I found the solution; delete a module in the FS9 folder. It works a treat now. 😀

Thanks Again 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

mikee747,

...I found the solution; delete a module in the FS9 folder...

I think it would be fair to ask you to share your findings with us - which module?

mikee747 Guest

The module I found to delete is: OLEACC.dll

I advise to back it up in another folder, just in case! 🙂

TESTING:
I have found one possible problem, when I attempt to go online with SQ3 on VATSIM the Connecting to Multiplayer screen stays there and does not go away regardless of what you do until you reload the flight.

It could be my pc, or as a result of the module.

Anyway, apart from that it works.

Thanks for all your help again guys,

Michael

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I have the oleacc.dll twice.

Once in my fs9 main folder and once in C:\WINDOWS\system32. Don't know where it comes from, don't know what it does, don't know what it doesn't do Dont Know

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...