Landing tips needed...

Pro Member Trainee
Tell Trainee

Hi, I am reasonably new to Flight Sims but have been through the lessons etc and can take off, navigate, land with no real problems EXCEPT I find it very difficult to line up on the runway accurately for landing as I very often have to make last second adjustments otherwise I land with one undercaridge off the runway and one on it 🙂 Does anyone have any tips on how they manage to line up correctly ?

Tell

PS using ILS lineing up is obviously easy so I am talking here about lining up completely manually.

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

take off auto-rudder and use a lot of it manually with the keyboard. i find it a lot easier to fly like that.

also for visual landings it'simportant to keep the runway in the centre of the screen. just take into account the sides of the moniter and keep it in the middle.

other than that just know the runway heading and use the glidescope. or get a hud..but that's cheating.

Guest Ed Guest

What aircraft are you flying?

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
aviator150 Trainee

My flight instructor always tells me this. When you are on approach, look at the far end of the runway...that will keep the runway straight. If you are off centre a little bit turn onto the runway then turn about a degree or 2 back from the direction you turned from

Guest Ed Guest

You might try turning on the centerline marker (not sure what that's called, the little chevron on the display that is project on the sky in front of you and shows where the aircraft is pointed). I find that I tend to sit slightly to one side or the other of the monitor, and assume that my perspective changes-- but it doesn't. For that reason, I sometimes tend to come in on a diagonal and get off the center of the runway, like you. Embarassed

The center point of the aircraft is always above the same point on the panel, no matter where I sit. Once I figure out what that point is, I can use that to align with the runway. On one aircraft it might be the edge of an instrument, on another it might be a certain screw on the panel.

Ed

Pro Member Trainee
Tell Trainee

Thanks for the quick replies guys 🙂 🙂 🙂

Hinch - I have been trying altering the rudder for final adjustments so as not to dip a wing tip but need more practise...

Ed - I mainly fly the Vulcan now but it happens with anything including athe Cessna 😞

Thanks again to each of you I will try each suggestion out to see if they improve my flying (or should I say 'landing') 🙂

Tell

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Welcome to the forums aviator150! 🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...