Boring Job

Ryan F. Guest

If you were a pilot 30 years ago, your job was much harder than it is as a pilot now.

I talked to a pilot i know.. he's an MD-80 captain for American and also a Lt. Colonel in the Air National Guard (he flies C-5s)... and he said something interesting.

..he said this a few months ago to me.. (he was a 757/767 first officer at the time)

"Flying isn't what it used to be. It's less fun and less rewarding today. It's funny nowadays becuase I'll be talking to my captain before take-off and he'll be telling me how much he loves to fly and that he's done it his whole life.. etc etc etc.. But then he will go and turn the autopilot on a few moments after takeoff, lol. Today, the plane is flying itself for the better portion of the flight, leaving us with not too much to do. Nowadays, the job is basically hours of boredom punctuated with moments of fear and excitement. And the pay is a joke compared to what it used to be."

Now, let me say that I'm not deminishing the duties of a pilot.. that's a direct quote FROM a pilot, lol.

Keep in mind also that he was doing long-haul routes at the time.. like Paris-New York or Chicago-Hawaii. CRJ Captains have many more landings and takeoffs in a week than a 767 or 777 captain. But still.. he makes an interesting point.

This statement doesn't un-determine me from attaining my goal.. but it makes me think. And you look at 707 cockpits and Constellation cockpits, and you see that it was a much more difficult job back then.

I don't know what to think, I'm only 17, and therefore I've been brought up in the computer age.. with FMCs and EFIS flight decks.

I guess the point of this post is.. today, saying, "I'd love to fly planes" could mean more than one thing. Flying a cessna VFR today is a completely different job description than captaining a "computer-on-wings" like the 777.

What are your thoughts on this?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

When I was fifteen I wanted to fly helicopters more than anything...so I got a job at a local helicopter tour company. Part of my duties were to go on test-flights and record guages at flight critical times. I've got about 200 hours of being airborne in five different types of helicopters, and 2.5 hours actually at the controls.

I quit that job at 21, because I realized that I really don't like actually flying...like your pilot friend said, it does get boring, because the safety of the aircraft makes it so. I still really love to fly on FS9 because the safety factor goes out the door.

Anyways, that's why I'm not pursuing a flying career, but it is still one of the more interesting jobs because of what can happen.

And on the point of new cockpits with their glass cockpits and self monitoring thresholds...I was recently in a 1972 L1011, I think it wouldn't have been exciting to look at all of the analog guages, but stressful!

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

hmm, i went on a simulator that seemed fun, im not quitting my dream just because 1 little pilot says so, there are many factors maybe he doesnt really weant to be a pilot, he might not be clever enough to be a pilot(flying takes a lot out of you) there are many reasons, i dream of being in control of the airbus a380 climbing out of egll in the captains seat, im sure many other people here feel the same way as me! =)

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Ummm,there is always that option of fighter pilot...I don't think a dogfight is so boring...

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

if you truly loved to fly you wouldn't care what you got paid, but it would still be nice to make good money off it. my uncle that flies for alaska airlines started working there in 1991 and he said it used to be that an airline captain would make as much as the CEO, but now the CEO makes a ton more money and is just sending the airline down, and just to keep the stock holders happ(not to shure how there happy). my uncle also said that his benifits that he gets for working there are not as much as they used to be. this might be a little off topic but i thought it fit in a little. but anyways i still want to be a pilot for an airline.

Ryan F. Guest

me from persueing my goal of someday being introduced as "Captain Ryan Finn" aboard a 757. i've had my eyes set on the skies since as long as i can remember...

i'm just making a point that when you really look at it.. it's amazing how much easier fly a plane has gotten in just 10-15 years.

and my friend.. he was a pilot through that time period, along with many other pilots, so they probably have mixed feelings about the new avionics. Yes, they take a lot of duties off the pilot's hands.. but all those older guys are used to flying planes like the DC-10 or 727, where they had a flight engineer behind them.. and many other stressful duties. i know it sounds weird.. but hey, i guess when you've been doing something the same way for a while, you don't want things to change.

me personally.. I can't stand the older flight decks.. I've tried my hand at some 60s and 70s jets in FS9.. and there's just so many more things to keep watch over and tinker with.

i like my plane modernized.. with EFIS, FMCs, and any other digital goodies that can help me out
😀

oh.. and endeavour.. i wasnt really thinking on the fighter side.. but yes.. landing on an aircraft carrier is certainly NOT a boring job, lol

Ryan F. Guest

uh... the beginning of my last post got cut off.. i have no idea why though.. Dont Know

it was supposed to say "i'm not trying to convince you to not become a pilot, and neither is my friend... nothing will ever stop me from persuing my dream of someday being introcuced as...... " the rest is there, lol

sorry about that

Pro Member First Officer
Martin (Blake14) First Officer

If your big interest is planes ( and I think most people's interests here is planes) then that doesn't limit you from being an airline captain. 3 years ago, I still wanted to be an airline captain, but I talked to someone, the same for you, who told me that flying in an airline isn't what it used to be. So, since I was always interested in engineering, I am now setting my goals to becoming an aerospace engineer. Working with and designing planes is as close as it can get to the actual passion of aircraft. So, your love of planes doesn't limit you to becoming an airline captain. Also, you can always have a ppl, and that, from experience, I know at least that flying a little cessna is a lot of fun.
I hope you can understand my point.
Good flying!!!

Ryan F. Guest

I realize that, and trust me, I've looked over multiple options. Airline/Airport business management is my second choice i suppose, but I really have my sights set on becoming a captain.. regardless of the career's condition in todays world 😀

since jobs as pilots are so insecure with the airlines nowadays.. i'm probably going to end up with an associates degree in aviation business anyway (along side my major in aeronautical science, of course)

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

I would never put anyone off what they want to do but you have always got to have a second option, a backup plan. There are dreams and there is reality unfortunately. From a UK perspective it is certainly far from the glamorous lifestyle it once was but if you truly love flying this does not matter..... that said if you truly love flying it won't matter what you fly or if you are flying for fun or for a living.
I spent about £35k to get my commercial license and it took me a few years to get from 0 hours to fATPL and at the end of it getting a job is not easy! Having been qualified for 2 years the only paid work I have done is charter work on light twins. Shortly going to do my instructors rating as well as continue with air charter work until something comes along.
I also have my own business which pays the bills...so just remember it is not all plain sailing....but on a positive note no matter what I fly I love it.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

True flying is not entering data in an FMC and letting computers calculate everything. True flying is you being at the controls of a light aircraft and having to think for yourself. Trying to fly a tough circuit containing lots of thermals, poor visibility, other traffic and a strong crosswind, now that is real flying.

I myself am at university studying engineering (for which i have a well paid 2 year contract afterwards with a company for sure) and completing my PPL. I hope to do one or two other ratings by the end of my university course and work. One thing i have come to realise is, that as much as i enjoy flying and want a job as a commercial pilot, but it can not be a certainty that i would get a job. That is why i am not going out and blowing cash on a loan to get the liscences.

As PH highlighted having the licenses does not gurantee the job. The only thing i can hope for in the future is for the airline industry to continue to grow.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

being a pilot may be more boring: but a 747 isn;t there for the pilot's pleasure; it's there to take 400 people across the world - safely.

it's a damn site better then sitting in a grey office, and a much better view than driving a bus.

Ryan F. Guest

Amen to that!

..and bus drivers can't switch on autopilot and eat a meal 😉

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

No but they can pull into a rest area and eat a decent meal!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...