yaw damper

starfoxfalcon Guest

please explain this

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

i don't know exactly, so someone will probably correct me on this, but i believe a yaw damper is used during flight to smooth out horizontal (side to side) turbulence.. it's only meant to be on when the aircraft is not going to be turning or banking steeply.

that's how i have always used it... but then again i could be completely wrong.

..hope that helped to some extent , lol 😂 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

From Wikipedia:

"Yaw is rotation about the normal axis—an axis perpendicular to the pitch and roll axes. If an airplane model placed on a flat surface is spun or pivoted around the center of mass (coordinate origin) it would be described as yawing".

Yaw damper conter-acts this rotation, which is caused by the air that the aircraft is flying through.

I think

😀 😀 😀

PW

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The Yaw Damper normally remains on continuously in flight. Most large aircraft have two.

http://www.b737.org.uk/theruddersystem.htm

🙂

Don Wood Guest

The example used earlier of an aircraft placed on a flat surface and then spun by the nose (horizontally) is a good visual depiction of yaw except that yaw is almost always a back-and-forth force. If you picture the same aircraft on that flat surface, yaw would have the nose moving back and forth through a line going straight ahead.

Mostly, yaw is not induced by turbulence. Instead, it is a function of the engineering of the aircraft. Aircraft with very little inherent yaw are stable and easier to fly but they also have less manueverability than aircraft with a higher level of inherent yaw. Aircraft that require a high degree of manueverabilty typically have a higher degree of inherent yaw which can be controlled by either the pilot or some sort of yaw damper.

Many light aircraft not designed for aerobatics have no yaw damper and need none. I'm not familiar enough with large commercial aircraft to know of they have or need yaw damping so I'll leave that discussion for others.

starfoxfalcon Guest

it helped ty

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...