Flying Lessons in FS9

Excelsis Guest

Am I alone in thinking that the lessons provided in FS4 are frustrating? My main source of irritation is that the instructor (Rod Muchacho or something) speaks far too fast, like they have speeded up the tape to fit his narrative in. Consequently the information he rambles off is far too much to absorb in one go and before you know it: "I'm going to have to terminate this lesson..." You are distracted etc.etc. There have been many times when I have been doing just fine and the lesson has been terminated just because he doesn't give you enough time to do things.

The other thing is the accompanying ground lessons which (I find) are full of inaccuracies. A case in point: "I am going to introduce one of the most common approaches: VOR " And then the text details ILS approroaches! There are lots of small things like that which might not add up to much but it has caused me to scratch my head, thinking I was going mad.

Also annoying that you can't maximise the page and the printer won't let you print pages at a time.

I sense a spam...but please don't be too hard on me guys. I actually love FS9! Just this aspect peeves me a little.

Read

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
GIranger Trainee

The funny thing about Rod is when I was taking my A&P classes all of the video's have him and his wife in them. They have been teaching aviation for a very very long time. Just about any aviation learning videos have them in it. Just had to throw that is sorry!!
As for your troubles I went through them a couple times just to get the hang of them and didnt have any problems with them but maybe because I've been in the aviation field for some time and halfway understand what there talking about. Just be patient. Good luck and hopefully someone else can chime in to help you out. Jeff

excelsis Guest

I sense a spam...

I meant a flame... sorry

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This topic has been discussed in depth on previous occasions. With some stern reactions may I add. In short, it borders on sacrilege to critizise the FS lessons in the slightest. Holy Roman Inquisition revisited.

But rest assured, you are not alone. There exists an 'Underground Resistance Movement' but due to its nature most of the members prefer to remain anonymous fearing retribution, being ostracised or even crucified.

Long live the Revolution!!! Ninja Ninja Ninja

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

But rest assured, you are not alone. There exists an 'Underground Resistance Movement' but due to its nature most of the members prefer to remain anonymous fearing retribution, being ostracised or even crucified.

Long live the Revolution!!! Ninja Ninja Ninja

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

1. I can't help with the speed of the lesson, just ensure you read all of the ground material prior to the flight lessons. Complete previous lessons.

2. It was just a typo in the ground material, VOR should have been ILS.

3. Printer problem. Here are links to the two approach charts in the Approach Overview section. You can print these and any other charts that you want from the links below. I hope that this will make it easier to fly the lessons. 🙂

VOR 30 Long Beach (KLGB)
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0603/00236VT30.PDF

VOR 34 Redding (KRDD)
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0603/00688V34.PDF

US Charts
http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

In short, it borders on sacrilege to critizise the FS lessons in the slightest. Holy Roman Inquisition revisited.

So if I am flamed that would be the equivalent of being burnt at the stake then...

Devil

Thanks for your replies especially CRJCapt. Very helpful!

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

about the content of the lessons, i don't think ms payed rod alot of cash for this thing. he probably went to his books and pulled random things out

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

GIranger wrote:

The funny thing about Rod is when I was taking my A&P classes all of the video's have him and his wife in them.

I think you mean John and Martha King are in instruction videos. I bought their whole series of Private Pilot videos when I was taking flying lessons. The two of them are annoying as can be but the videos were full of good information so I gritted my teeth and watched them anyway. I wish I could smack Rod Machado sometimes, he's not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

Pro Member Trainee
mrtazzy Trainee

Yeah they are frustrating but if you read the lesson material before the flight thoroughly you will get it. I'm trying to pass my instrument check flight now. VERY HARD! The first lessons are various instrument approaches using VOR. I've done most of the lessons and I am happy to have them. I can't imagine how hard it is to make them.

You get really small menus if you use high res. Graphics. Printing - I've got a small book going. Read

Pro Member Trainee
heathallen Trainee

I ran out and got FS '04 in hopes that Rod Machado would be gone!!

I stopped taking the lessons on 2002 because I always wanted to crash every plane he was flying in. Hopefully 2004 won't be so bad. I'm going to start on my lessons tonight. Mad

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

mrtazzy wrote:

Yeah they are frustrating but if you read the lesson material before the flight thoroughly you will get it. I'm trying to pass my instrument check flight now. VERY HARD!

Do you know about this bug in the IFR checkride?:

http://www.rodmachado.com/Flight-Sim/FS-IFR-Ride.htm

Pro Member Trainee
Simmy Trainee

I agree that the lessons tear along at such a pace it is difficult to take it all in. It could be solved quite easily by including a printable version of Rod's instructions on the disc.

Simmy

Pro Member Trainee
Virenque Trainee

Is there any way (add on) to save the lesson and start again from that point if I fail? I hate to listen and fly parts that I did right over and over again.
BTW I tried with auto-save. It saves the flight but not the speach so it`s useless for lessons.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...