ILS Frequency

When I put on autopilot for approach, I read the thread that says I need to put in the ILS Frequency. How do I do that and how do I know what frequency to put in?

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Click on the MAP icon on the instrument panel, click on the airport symbol, ILS frequencies will be listed for each runway with an ILS. Only some runways have a ILS. Enter frequency into the number 1 navigation radio.

Read through the Learning Center in Flight Simulator and complete the lessons. I suggest the Cessna 172, it will make learning easier. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Good responce by CRJCapt. Another way to do it is to go to www.myairplane.com , click on NACO Approach Plates, then type in your airport, find an approach you like, and it will have freqs printed on it. The ILS frequencies are the ones on the "Feathers", and say something like "Localizer" or "ILS" are the ones you want, in FS, they are green. Here is an example for Phoenix SkyHarbor runway 26:

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/approach/pdfs/00322I26.PDF

The ILS freq is 111.75.

FWIW, all ILS freqs that are printed are for the Localizer(left/right), and the ILS receiver automatically matches it's associated glideslope(up/down).

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well make sure you put it into both the Nav 1 radio and the Nav 2 radio otherwise you'll be as lost as I was for quite awhile back in the day.

Sphagnum1 Guest

Solotwo wrote:

Well make sure you put it into both the Nav 1 radio and the Nav 2 radio otherwise you'll be as lost as I was for quite awhile back in the day.

😕 I've never had to input the ILS frequency into both Nav radios... I don't believe that is accurate

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

You're correct. I think that aircraft that utilizing a auto land approach require both radios be set to the ILS frequency, a normal ILS uses NAV 1 only. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well at least for me I could never get ILS to work unless I had it programed into both.

Pro Member Trainee
Greg1138 Trainee

I've never had this problem.....? NAV1 works fine for me......

why do people jump straight into a jet without learning first? 😳
and then wonder why they cant do it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Jets just look so attractive to fly 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

SteveT wrote:

Jets just look so attractive to fly 🙂

👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I did the same thing - jets are so much more interesting than small aircraft 😂 It just took me a lot longer working it out on my own than if I had started with the small aircraft and worked my way up 😉

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

It's just so much fun 😀

FTR, I know perfectly well why I can't do it: I'm incompetent. But jets are big and sexy and fun. Oh, I like doing the lessons in the Cessna too - it's much more challenging to really learn something. Every now and then, though, the temptation to take a 747 and wobble it around the sky is overwhelming.

Pro Member First Officer
lkw First Officer

Yet I keep going back to props and flying without using GPS. It is great that FS allow us to have fun in our own ways. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

lkw wrote:

It is great that FS allow us to have fun in our own ways. 😀

Agreed. For myself, I am a compulsive fiddler. I'll mess about with anything. Well, just about anything - I generally find it wise to ask permission before messing about with things attached to women.

But yeah, competent or not, FS is highly enjoyable and the best bit is, even if one is a complete duffer (like me) we still get to fly 747s without endangering real people. My virtual passengers would probably complain, but they're all dead by now 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

😕 I've never had to input the ILS frequency into both Nav radios... I don't believe that is accurate

Well this is only accurate if you are attempting an autoland

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Jared wrote:

I generally find it wise to ask permission before messing about with things attached to women.

Well this is only accurate if you are attempting an autoland

Eep. Embarassed

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

set both nav radios to the ils frequency and hit autopilot then approch

the plane should fly it for you.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...