Help with the heavies

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Hey all!
I have some trouble when landing with the heavies.
I've been practicing with a 777, prior to that the largest plane I flew with was a 757, in which I feel very comfortable. But with the 777 I often end up with a collapsed nose gear. I touchdown with the main gear at about 140, full flaps and no problems, but when the front touches everything goes to hell.
As soon as I touchdown I deploy spoilers and thrust reversers, and then pull back on the joystick hoping the nose gear will touchdown smoothly.

Is this the correct procedure and I just need more practice?
Any help will be much appreciated.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
deKoven Trainee

What I mean Gene; it sounds like you're landing on the nosewheel. You need to get the nose up and land on the main wheels, then let the nose down after touchdown. Twisted Evil

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

No no no...Main landing gear is touching first. That's why I don't understand why the nose sometimes collapses, if it's the main gear which takes the biggest hit.
Thanks for tip anyway...

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If this is happening with the same 777 (and is it a 2004 craft) time after time I would install an aircraft from another designer. I fly GA and have found that some just don't hold up as well as others during landing.
My imagination?, don't know if "shock absorbers" are possible in this Sim.

Try one of MelJet's.

http://www.fsfreeware.com/dcd/FS2004/Aircrafts/index-91.html

Let us know how it works out.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Don't deploy Reverse Thrust untill your nose gear has touched down. Deplying the reverse thrust before the nose gear touches causes too much of a downward force on the nose, forcing the nose to slam down hardcore. Do you have the autobreake set, and if so, what setting. Just make sure you are not setting it above 2, cause you shouldnt need that, and even 2 may be a little generous on your stopping power. You can make a flight video and show me what your landing is like, so then i'll kinda know more what it is your doing.

If you need anymore info on most any Heavy jet, I know a lot about them, as they are my favorite ones to fly. you can add me on Yahoo! if you want to

it's fire_emblem_master

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

Hi fire emblem...

I'll try not deploying thrust reversers until I'm completely down. I usually do it because I've seen several real life pics in which reversers are started before the nose touches down....but I'll see what happens.
Autobrake is usually off. Even at 1 I feel it is very abrupt
I've been trying to roll for a few feet on the main gear until I decelerate as much as I can, in order to stress the nose the less possible. That's why I pull back on the joystick when I touchdown.
But anyway, I'm gonna practice some more and if I don't get it I'll send you a video.

thanks for the help

Pro Member First Officer
leadfoot First Officer

Watch your descent rate. Make sure it is no more than 700fpm on short final, then start your flare at about 75' above rnwy. I usually come in at about 150 to 155 kts, makes for a softer touchdown.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

What do you use for braking? if you've got a joystick and you use the trigger, make sure the sensitivity is set a little lower, because holding down the joystick is like standing on the brake pedals on a real aircraft. I just use the period key, and tap on it to slow down. Also, make sure the spoilers are deployed, cause they will keep some of the downward force on the main gear as well.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...