When is a computer too old to upgrade to XP?

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

As I stated earlier when is a computer too old to upgrade to XP?

I currently have WIN 98 and my computer is about 7 years old.

Also what are the min. system requirements for XP?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

System requirements for various XP versions:

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/xpreq.htm

For XP Home, you would need, minimum:

300MHz (233 possible, but not advised)
128MB RAM (64 possible, not advised)
1.5Gb drive space

If your computer meets those specs, it really doesn't matter how old it is. But I would think carefully before putting XP on a machine that only just meets the requirements.

Take flightsim as an example - it runs OK on my system, but I really should have more memory and a better graphics card to really get it working well.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

thx should i take it in to a computer place to have it cleaned out and have XP installed?

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

amermel wrote:

thx should i take it in to a computer place to have it cleaned out and have XP installed?

If you're not confident about doing the job yourself then yes, it's probably best to take it to a computer place.

Bear in mind that those specs are the minimum advised to allow XP to run properly. If your system is close to the limits, perhaps upgrades of memory and drive would be an idea.

One other thing - if you use a lot of add-ons for MSFS you might want to think carefully before allowing anyone to format your drive.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Run this free test to see what it will say about your computer and XP.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/xpready/default.asp

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

i took the test and it said that my computer is really ready to get XP.
Now i have to convince my parents to have my sister get me WIN XP....
I dont think that they will go for it. Crying or Very sad

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...