vor

Pro Member Trainee
Roy Hubbard (Roy1836) Trainee

Sorry guys i should have re read my request it seemed that the only airport i can use the Auto landing system is Heathrow but i assumed that all airports had ALS I have since found that this is not the case, is that correct and how do i find witch airports do have ALS thanks Roy

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I'm not sure what ALS is. Do you mean ILS, i.e. the green feathers extending from the end of the runway on the moving map?? If so, most major airports have it, small GA airfields usually don't. To find out which ones do, just bring up your map and look for the green feathers, these indicate an ILS is present. 😉

Pro Member Trainee
Roy Hubbard (Roy1836) Trainee

Maybe I have the wrong terminoligy, what I am refering to is when you intercept the localiser the plane automatiacly turns to final approach and follows the glide path then before touchdown I turn of the auto pilot and land, it only happens at Heathrow when i try other airports it doesnt happen I thought it was called the Automatic landing system??? Roy

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Looks like you mean ILS as you state you are turning the AP off before landing...therefore not autolanding. If the AP (autopilot) is coupled to the ILS it will guide you to the runway APP mode. There are several posts giving a full guide on how to best carry out an ILS approach.
Regarding autoland both airport and aircraft need to be properly equipped for this. ILS on the other hand is fairly common at most medium/large airports. Make sure you have the correct frequency tuned in and the correct rw heading selected in the course box.

As suggested plenty of posts about for how to set this up.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

If you mean by ALS the Automatic Landing System, then this is a feature of the ILS in which the aircraft needs to be fully equipped. A lot of airports have an ILS as has already been said, but for an Autoland to take place, the aircraft needs to be equipped as the previous post said. Smaller aircraft don't have this feature - only modern airliners and it is only used in the correct conditions, i.e. near zero visibility.
You ask at the beginning how you know which airports have ALS (if you mean the Automatic Landing System, otherwise known as Autoland), but it is a question of whether the aircraft has Autoland rather than the runway in most cases 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...