A.S.I 'Barber's Pole'

Pro Member Trainee
Foxbat23 Trainee

I've been flying the 737 for long enough but never found out how to increase the speed limit set by the 'barber's pole' on the ASI! I inevitably overstress the plane! Crying or Very sad
Someone out there must have the answer??? (please)

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I'm not sure why you'd what to fly at speeds above the barber pole - its there for a reason.

But theres 2 things you can do:

1) Go to Aircraft --> Realism and change the setting to Easy so when you go at high speeds, it won't overstress the aircraft.

2) Go to the cfg. file of the 737-400 default, and find Maximum Speed or something similar and alter it.

➡ [Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed = 142.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
full_flaps_stall_speed = 113.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
cruise_speed = 477.0 //Knots True (KTAS)
max_mach = 0.82
max_indicated_speed = 340 //Red line (KIAS)

I'm guessing if you alter the last line to a higher value, you will be allowed to go at higher speeds. Back up your original cfg. first!

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Foxbat23 wrote:

I've been flying the 737 for long enough but never found out how to increase the speed limit set by the 'barber's pole' on the ASI! I inevitably overstress the plane! Crying or Very sad
Someone out there must have the answer??? (please)

I am really curious why you want to fly the 737 at unrealistically high speeds.

Pro Member Trainee
Foxbat23 Trainee

Thanks guys (jolegg & crashgordon) for your input but: .... Am I missing something here? you question my reasoning in wanting to fly at "unrealistic speeds"?? The beast has a cruise spec of 550mph so why shouldn't I cruise at THAT speed?? 😕
Thanks for the advice, jolegg, I'll give it a go. 😉

Foxbat23

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Foxbat23 wrote:

Thanks guys (jolegg & crashgordon) for your input but: .... Am I missing something here? you question my reasoning in wanting to fly at "unrealistic speeds"?? The beast has a cruise spec of 550mph so why shouldn't I cruise at THAT speed?? 😕
Thanks for the advice, jolegg, I'll give it a go. 😉

Foxbat23

If you changed anything I suggest you change it back 😉

Yes it can fly at 550 mph, but the airspeed you are looking at is KIAS (Knots Indicated Airspeed) - so when you are flying at around 280 KIAS at FL380, you are flying at 550 (roughly) mph which is roughly .82-.84 MACH. The Speed Indicator in nearly all aircraft in FS2004 is in Knots not MPH which explains why you are flying at higher speeds measured in MPH compared to when you are flying using KIAS.

I suggest you read the ground school material 😉

Last edited by Jonathan (99jolegg) on Thu May 25, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

at 30,000ft you cannot put 550mph into the autopilot.

you must find the alternate mach number (about 0.80 i guess) and use that.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...